Import symbol list for non-USD exchanges for IB  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
SysInv

Import symbol list for non-USD exchanges for IB

Postby SysInv » 29 Jul 2014

I'm trying to load symbol lists of stocks on exchanges that is not denominated in USD, such as SFB (Sweden), from Interactive brokers.

The problem is that I can't find anywhere for a specific symbol to set the currency, and by default the QuoteManager assigns USD to the imported ticker.

A specific example: If I add ALFA from SFB through Add Symbol > Data Source > IB it works fine. The datafeed is loaded, and I can see in the Event log that the currency SEK is assigned to this symbol (It shows "Connecting to realtime data for ALFA SFB STK SEK"). When I load the same ticker from a text file through the "Import Symbol List" if fails to find the data feed, and I can see in the event log that it looks for ALFA SFB STK USD.

The only place I can find where to specify a currency is for the exchange SFB, but even if I specify SEK here it still tries to load ALFA SFB STK USD.

How can I import a symbol list and specify the currency? (Since IB won't allow you search with * for all symbols, I have to use lists like this)

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Import symbol list for non-USD exchanges for IB  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Jul 2014

Hello SysInv,

IB datafeed and broker is “description sensitive”. It reads instrument parameters from the description. That is why it is recommended to add the symbol from data source-then the proper parameters would be used. If you are using stocks and importing a list of symbols please specify the instrument currency in instrument description in the text file. It is ok to specify only the required currency. You can add one instrument from the data provider using the Lookup to see how to do it properly.

SysInv

Re: Import symbol list for non-USD exchanges for IB

Postby SysInv » 29 Jul 2014

Thanks Henry,

it was enough to add "SEK" to the description and just reload the chart, and it worked right away.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”