A better way to use visual studio

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
GTrader

A better way to use visual studio

Postby GTrader » 05 Aug 2014

Having used MC.Net for a while, I have one suggestion that would make using visual studio a bit more seamless.

I'm not crazy about how you have to play with files and switch between Powerlanguage editor and visual studio.

Why can't MC.Net just scan the MultiChart.Net directory (or some specific directory) for new assemblies, read them using reflection and if a given object is of type IndicatorObject (etc), load them into the application (i.e. collection of indicators).

That way I can just create a standalone dll with all my custom code, not worry about how I name the file, and just have it copy the dll to the MC directory when I build it and MC will automatically pick it up when it next loads.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: A better way to use visual studio

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Aug 2014

Hello GTrader,

Is that what you need? MultiCharts .NET FAQ #1

GTrader

Postby GTrader » 06 Aug 2014

Hi Henry,
What I am suggesting is adding the ability for MC.Net to add the ability to load dll's with pre-compiled indicators/strategies dynamically on start-up. This would be an alternative to the built in file based compiler that MC.Net uses.

To be specific, I would no longer have to put *.cs files in "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts .NET64\StudyServer\Techniques\CS". I am suggesting MC adds a start up routine (or optional setting) to scan the MultiCharts.Net64 directory for new assemblys (i.e. .net dll's) and scans them using reflection for classes with a typeof( IndicatorObject ). MC could then dynamically load those dll's and add those indicators / strategies to MC list. In visual studio I just create a project that references the MC dll's needed and add a post build step copy the dll to the MultiChart directory. This would also eliminate the need for special naming conventions for the *.cs files.

This is just a suggestion to simplify the development / release process when using visual studio. I've used a couple other platforms that offer this approach and it makes it much easier to develop in.

If you like, I could easily take a stab at writing the code to do this but I don't have the hooks to the UI to add the indicators / strategies to the lists in MC.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Aug 2014

GTrader, thank you for your suggestion. All feature requests are forwarded to the management of the company and are evaluated in a timely manner. Please note that even though we value your opinion not all requests can be implemented due to technical reasons or the fact that some features do not fit into our current roadmap.

GTrader

Postby GTrader » 07 Aug 2014

Thanks Henry,
Just thought I would throw the idea out there. It isn't a requirement but more of a quality of life thing and it should be easy to implement.

Best
Mitch

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”