MaxPositionProfit & MaxContractProfit

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Guceri

MaxPositionProfit & MaxContractProfit

Postby Guceri » 22 Sep 2014

I am currently using IB as my broker and have a systems that use MaxPositionProfit for various components of my script (including triggering a trailing stop). The function will sometimes create false values from IB which will cause my trailing stop to trigger prematurely (it will say I had a large unrealize max profit, that really never happened). Whatever this function is referencing seems to be causing an issue. Is there an alternative way to calculate the maxpositionprofit without using this reserve word? Is there a way for MC to calculate this value internally?

The only other reserve word that I found as an alternative is MaxContractProfit. My fear is that this reserve word uses the same calculation methods (with only an additional division of position size).

Is there a difference in the back end calculation of the reserve words MaxPositionProfit vs. MaxContractProfit if you trade only 1 contract? Or am I going to experience the same problems that I do with MaxPositionProfit?

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: MaxPositionProfit & MaxContractProfit

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 23 Sep 2014

Hello Guceri,

There will be no difference if you use 1 contract. Few questions:
  1. Do you auto-trade in SA or in AA mode?
  2. At the moment when you start auto-trading, do you have an open market position?

Guceri

Postby Guceri » 23 Sep 2014

SA Mode

In regards to the position when I turn on SA Mode, it is hard to tell. Sometimes I have to turn off automation for a second to refresh a chart, change a script, or restart my system, etc. There can be times when there is already the designated position on, yes. I have not found this to be a problem.

The trailing stop I scripted and other components (which get triggered based on a maxpositionprofit) do not seem to be affected by restarting SA Mode when there is a position on.

What values is Maxpositionprofit pulling from IB? If it is the "Unrealized PnL" then there could be a problem. This value is faulty during IB's nightly reset.

Andrew MultiCharts

SA Mode
That is a good choice, however I recommend you to read about the modes of auto-trading to know how exactly it works in MC.
In regards to the position when I turn on SA Mode, it is hard to tell. Sometimes I have to turn off automation for a second to refresh a chart, change a script, or restart my system, etc. There can be times when there is already the designated position on, yes. I have not found this to be a problem.
In SA mode, whenever you start auto-trading, the strategy engine thinks there is no open position and no MaxPositionProfit. Please use this feature to tell the engine the correct values in order to avoid mismatch with broker values.
What values is Maxpositionprofit pulling from IB? If it is the "Unrealized PnL" then there could be a problem. This value is faulty during IB's nightly reset.
The MaxPositionProfit doesn't get any values from IB. It is maximum profit calculated by the strategy engine since the moment you start auto-trading. That is why it is very important for you to use the "Assign Market Position At Broker" feature and specify the correct MaxPositionProfit.

Guceri

Postby Guceri » 23 Sep 2014

I believe what you are referencing is not what the issue is. Even if I put $0 in the maxpositionprofit value upon start up of automation, this value will become accurate if the max position profit is highest AFTER the automation is turned on. I was under the impression that this value is only for PRIOR maxpositionprofit before the automation was turned on. This is not the issue I have.

Here is a more concrete example of the issue.

If have a position on, A trailing stop should be triggered at a MaxPositionProfit of $600. It is 5 PM, and I am long 1 contract. My current MaxPositionProfit is $400. At 1 AM, I have a trailing stop that gets activated. Since 5PM, the position PnL has not been higher. There is no reason for MaxPositionProfit, to show a value higher then $400 at this point. Having a trailing stop triggered would mean that there was a false value calculated.

Andrew MultiCharts

I believe what you are referencing is not what the issue is. Even if I put $0 in the maxpositionprofit value upon start up of automation, this value will become accurate if the max position profit is highest AFTER the automation is turned on. I was under the impression that this value is only for PRIOR maxpositionprofit before the automation was turned on. This is not the issue I have.
I double-checked with our developers: the keyword MaxPositionProfit is locally calculated by the strategy engine, it does not get any values from broker end. When you assign market position at broker you should specify the MaxPositionProfit that was reached since the moment the position was opened if you want your trailing to trigger immediately (for example) and work further correctly .
Here is a more concrete example of the issue.

If have a position on, A trailing stop should be triggered at a MaxPositionProfit of $600. It is 5 PM, and I am long 1 contract. My current MaxPositionProfit is $400. At 1 AM, I have a trailing stop that gets activated. Since 5PM, the position PnL has not been higher. There is no reason for MaxPositionProfit, to show a value higher then $400 at this point. Having a trailing stop triggered would mean that there was a false value calculated.
Please come to our live chat during working hours (6:30 am – 2:45 pm EST) to let our operators connect to your computer remotely in order to study the issue and help you: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Return to “MultiCharts”