scanner data collection  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

scanner data collection

Postby arnie » 05 Oct 2014

When we are following several symbols in the scanner, what type of data is being collected?
In QM, we have the option to choose which data to collect when we connect a symbol through QM.
Is that same option also used by MC when we have a symbol in the scanner?

The idea is to have all those symbols in the scanner to collect not only minute data but also tick data (volume delta) so when it's time to switch contract I already have all that data available and not needing to download it.

Attachments
scanner.png
(37.43 KiB) Downloaded 528 times

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: scanner data collection  [SOLVED]

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 06 Oct 2014

Hello arnie,
When we are following several symbols in the scanner, what type of data is being collected?
No data is collected if by "collect" you mean "save". The values you see in scanner = the values from status line streaming in real-time and they are not saved anywhere in MC.
In QM, we have the option to choose which data to collect when we connect a symbol through QM.
Is that same option also used by MC when we have a symbol in the scanner?
No, those are different things.
The idea is to have all those symbols in the scanner to collect not only minute data but also tick data (volume delta) so when it's time to switch contract I already have all that data available and not needing to download it.
If you want to collect real-time data and save it to your local database, the best way to do this is to turn on collecting rt minutes and ticks (trades, asks, bids) in QuoteManager for all required symbols (please keep in mind that QM must be on launched and stay on to collect rt data).
To learn more about how MC collects and saves data, please follow this link.

JoshM

Re: scanner data collection

Postby JoshM » 11 Oct 2014

If you want to collect real-time data and save it to your local database, the best way to do this is to turn on collecting rt minutes and ticks (trades, asks, bids) in QuoteManager for all required symbols (please keep in mind that QM must be on launched and stay on to collect rt data).
What I used to do was use the Windows Task Scheduler to have the QuoteManager start every day, because otherwise I would forget it once in a while. :)

There's good Task Scheduler tutorial here: Using Task Scheduler to Run Processes Later.

Return to “MultiCharts”