MC 64 vs MC 32

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
hilbert

MC 64 vs MC 32

Postby hilbert » 06 Oct 2014

1) My laptop has 4GB RAM and windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
2) I have typically 3 workspace with 10 charts each open, with 2-4 years 1 minute data (bar charts). I have IB data. I use only minute charts and IOG disabled.
3) I do not use MC for live autotrading.
4) I use MC only for backtesting, strategy development and to track markets using these charts
5) Currently I do not use scanner

So under current setup, I am not affected by 5 million bars limit in a chart, or any other limit imposed by 32 bit version of MC.

I understand if I increase my RAM to 8GB, my backtests and optimizations will run faster. However, what if I do not increase current 4GB RAM? So, my question is will moving to 64 bit MC without increasing my RAM, yield any improvement in any aspect of MC performance, under my current above setup?

Thanks.

TJ

Re: MC 64 vs MC 32

Postby TJ » 06 Oct 2014

1) My laptop has 4GB RAM and windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
2) I have typically 3 workspace with 10 charts each open, with 2-4 years 1 minute data (bar charts). I have IB data. I use only minute charts and IOG disabled.
3) I do not use MC for live autotrading.
4) I use MC only for backtesting, strategy development and to track markets using these charts
5) Currently I do not use scanner
So under current setup, I am not affected by 5 million bars limit in a chart, or any other limit imposed by 32 bit version of MC.
I understand if I increase my RAM to 8GB, my backtests and optimizations will run faster. However, what if I do not increase current 4GB RAM? So, my question is will moving to 64 bit MC without increasing my RAM, yield any improvement in any aspect of MC performance, under my current above setup?
Thanks.
What is your CPU?
Did you upgrade a new OS to an old laptop?

4 GB is barely enough to run Windows7.

You can always check your TaskManager to see your memory utilization.
If you need more memory, the OS will start to swap files. The computer will slow to a crawl.

Having said that... I always use the KISS principle... and IF it ain't broke, why fix it.

If MC32 works fine, and you have not experienced any limit imposed by 32 bit version of MC, then by all means stay with it.

YMMV

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 06 Oct 2014

I did update from Vista-32bit to Win7-64bit around 1.5 years back. I have dell inspiron 1420, with intel core 2 duo T8300. However, I didn't change from MC 32bit to 64bit because my machine has only 4GB memory.

With the release of MC9, I decided to increase my RAM to 8GB from 4GB, so that I can run backtests on multi-stock/future portfolios. However, I just realized that my laptop (CPU) doesn't support more than 4GB(2*2GB) RAM. So, I am constrained by 4GB of RAM and can't upgrade.

refer: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... piron-1420

That is why I asked this question. Will moving to 64bit version of MC compared to 32bit of MC help in any aspect with 4GB of RAM, on a Win7 64bit machine?

Btw, I agree with KISS principle :) I have been trying to think hard but I can't find a scenario wherein moving to 64bit MC will help in any aspect? I could be missing some obvious improvement though. Its just that if moving to 64bit MC will help in any aspect, I will move to 64bit MC. Otherwise, I will continue to use 32 bit MC. Thanks a lot.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 07 Oct 2014

That is why I asked this question. Will moving to 64bit version of MC compared to 32bit of MC help in any aspect with 4GB of RAM, on a Win7 64bit machine?
Hello hilbert,

Moving to MC 64 bit will allow you to use all 4 gb of RAM, while in MC 32 bit you are limited only to use 2 gb (after that limit the software can behave incorrectly). In general the performance of MC 64 is slightly better, however if you switch to 64 bit version of our software, it doesn't mean optimization or backtesting be performed much faster, it means you will be able to use more data on your charts with more complex strategies.

Return to “MultiCharts”