scanner memory usage

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

scanner memory usage

Postby arnie » 07 Oct 2014

Only now I'm discovering the advantages of the market scanner and its ability to plot our own studies :oops:

My main alert study which triggers if we have a new high/low in the different sessions during the day is plot on eight 1 minute charts since I have the alerts for 8 instruments.
My question is if the scanner, applying a 1 minute resolution for 5 days, use less memory than the 8 charts.
Well, to tell you the truth, my concerns is not really the memory but the CPU. I'm seeing my CPU going above 50% way too many times nowadays, something that would rarely happen.
In terms of study calculations I assume that it's the same being plotted on a chart or in the scanner.

But never the less, I would like to know if the scanner can improve performance in terms of memory and CPU.
Studies that do not need any type of visualization on a chart, if performance is enhanced, they can be plotted in the scanner.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: scanner memory usage

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Oct 2014

Hello arnie,

Scanner window utilizes less memory than chart window. It does not require creating additional windows, chart trading panel, trading, strategy and drawing objects.

The calculation of the indicators in the scanner is similar to the indicator calculations on the chart (it takes the same amount of CPU time).

Scanner window has some limitations:
- non-standard chart types are not supported.
- no access to additional data series.
- no drawing tools/drawings in indicators.

It takes less CPU time to visualize price series and indicators in the scanner window, compared to a chart.

arnie

Postby arnie » 08 Oct 2014

That's really good news.
Studies that plot text values with stats can easily be transferred to the scanner.
Alert studies that play only sounds with nothing being plotted on the chart.
I assume that even studies using ADE/ELC functions can export the data from the scanner to other charts?
When you say no drawings it also mean that there's no way to plot a text string, for example "Alarms are OFF" or "New High" instead of coloring the cell?

Is there a way to plot multiple plots on a single one plot?
If the indicator is calculating 6 different variables it means one need to plot 6 times the indicator and plot each variable in each cell? That is in fact a limitation....

arnie

OK, we can export data to charts using ADE/ELC functions in the scanner :)
Isn't possible to remove or disable a study from a selected instrument? One needs to apply the study to all instruments?

Can you give a description of what each MC process refers too?
ATCenterServer.exe
MessageCenter.exe
tsServer.exe

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Oct 2014

I assume that even studies using ADE/ELC functions can export the data from the scanner to other charts?
Yes, that can be done.
When you say no drawings it also mean that there's no way to plot a text string, for example "Alarms are OFF" or "New High" instead of coloring the cell?
Plots can do strings with text.
Is there a way to plot multiple plots on a single one plot?
If the indicator is calculating 6 different variables it means one need to plot 6 times the indicator and plot each variable in each cell? That is in fact a limitation....
Each plot = individual column/cell. You can combine multiple values you need into a single string that will be shown in a single cell.
Isn't possible to remove or disable a study from a selected instrument? One needs to apply the study to all instruments?
Study is applied to all instruments. You can exclude calculation for particular instrument by adding GetSymbolName check.

ATCenterServer.exe - handles information for Order and Position tracker window
MessageCenter.exe - handles alerts and app messages
tsServer.exe - handles data

arnie

Regarding the ATCenterServer.exe...

Is it normal to have such high memory usage for a simple information handling for OPT?
Even in terms of CPU usage I see it from time to time hit 20%.
At the moment I have no positions in the market.

It's the ATCenterServer that takes my CPU to 60 and even 70% everytime it hits 20%.

The .NET ATCenterServer it's only consuming 4mb of memory. Even when Î connect it to IB it does not move above 4mb.

Attachments
atcenter.png
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 780 times

arnie

Here it goes to 19% on the CPU

Attachments
atcenter02.png
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 964 times

arnie

Interesting, closed MC and all it's processes. Closed also TWS.
Reopened MC and ATCenterServer from the start was immediately consume 325mb of memory without having any chart/workspace opened nor TWS.

Attachments
atcenter03.png
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 09 Oct 2014

In a chart window we have the option to remove the scroll bars and the title bar.
Does that option exist for the scanner window? Where?
If the scanner is being used as just a watchlist one could remove those items

Attachments
deadspace.png
(25.98 KiB) Downloaded 995 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Oct 2014

Regarding the ATCenterServer.exe... Is it normal to have such high memory usage for a simple information handling for OPT?
Most likely you have a lot of OPT records that require this amount of memory when unpacked (when MC is running). You can try renaming the folder with your existing OPT records C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64\TradingCenter and running MultiCharts with clean OPT.

Henry MultiСharts

In a chart window we have the option to remove the scroll bars and the title bar.
Does that option exist for the scanner window? Where?
If the scanner is being used as just a watchlist one could remove those items
Unfortunately there is no such functionality at the moment. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

arnie

Postby arnie » 09 Oct 2014

Until you guys clean the PM page I think there's really no point in continue to request new features.

Regarding the OPT, can one copy the TradingCenter folder to another MC so it can access the trades?
The idea would be to revise my trades done on the desktop on my laptop later in the day though there's another issue here, even if it's possible to copy/paste the folder, does the 32bit version recognize the 64bit TradingCenter folder?

Henry MultiСharts

Regarding the OPT, can one copy the TradingCenter folder to another MC so it can access the trades? The idea would be to revise my trades done on the desktop on my laptop later in the day though there's another issue here, even if it's possible to copy/paste the folder, does the 32bit version recognize the 64bit TradingCenter folder?
You need to copy it to the same bit (32-32, 64-64). 32 to 64 will not work. That is also recommended to have the same version of MC on both PCs.

Return to “MultiCharts”