General Newbie Questions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
confusedxx

General Newbie Questions

Postby confusedxx » 09 Oct 2014

Hi All,

I am currently with TS and thinking of changing for a couple reasons. I have been considering MultiCharts since it works with Easy Language and I have had horrible experiences with NT so will not look at them again. So I wanted to ask a couple questions first:

1. How does MC handle intrabar data for back testing? Can MC determine if the HIGH occured before the low? I understand TS makes an assumption based on how near the open and close are to the high and low. NT does not have any idea to determine this.

2. Can I use MC for a live trading account with a automated trading strategy running and at the same time use MC with a simulated trading account running a different strategy but with live data feeds?

Thank you

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: General Newbie Questions

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 09 Oct 2014

1. How does MC handle intrabar data for back testing? Can MC determine if the HIGH occured before the low? I understand TS makes an assumption based on how near the open and close are to the high and low. NT does not have any idea to determine this.

2. Can I use MC for a live trading account with a automated trading strategy running and at the same time use MC with a simulated trading account running a different strategy but with live data feeds?
Hello confusedxx,
  1. If Bar Magnifier tool is not used, MC also uses assumptions. To learn more about all possible scenarious, please follow the link.
  2. Yes, theretically you could be getting data form all supported vendors, auto-trade as many chart as your PC can handle, using as many different broker accounts as you want at the same time in MultiCharts.

shanemcdonald

Re: General Newbie Questions

Postby shanemcdonald » 09 Oct 2014

Hi

I use both TS and MC.

With a rithmic connection on MC, I can run strategies on the sim account at the same time I can trade on the live rithmic account. This is a huge advantage over TS.

Also, I can run a cqg demo, which is sim, at the same time I am running another live account.
MC is great in this aspect.

I dont have historical tick data with rithmic. So I run a cqg demo, and export the tick data from the demo account. Then I import the tick data into a rithmic instrument and Presto ! I have historical tick data without even leaving Multicharts.

Every week I compare the live sim trades taken by a strategy against the backtest and MC is more accurate. I was surprised at how close the results were.

TS uses a lot of resources also. I can only run about 8 charts with autotrade on for simtesting.

I spend most of my time on MC as I find everything to be more refined with better graphics and resolution.

It will be an easy and pleasant transition for you.

shane

Return to “MultiCharts”