Exporting Symbol & Data via QMD-File

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bensat

Exporting Symbol & Data via QMD-File

Postby bensat » 10 Nov 2014

When I installed MC the first time and loaded all necessary data to form correct "Custom Futures" I wasn't aware that Bid/Ask-data were recorded as well. So the size of the dbase increased like hell and I decided to delete all the Bid/Ask-data (tick & minute) symbol by symbol, export the symbol-settings and the data, copy the base dbase and import all symbols with the settings and the data back. Deleting all the Bid/Ask-data alone would not decrease the dbase size on it's own. Export went very well and I thought : Well done.

Wrong. Exporting data into one single qmd-file may work, but the import of an 8GB file in size doesn't. No problem. Even the export of the symbols and data into exchange groups with 6-700MB file sizes did not work. Always import stopped around 67-70% in importing process. So I decided to export all the symbols in symbol-groups. Well done, it worked. Dbase size decreased by almost 460MB. Symbols were running and recording data. Well done. Not so fast. I exported all symbols with "Fields to collect" without any Bid/Ask-recordings and Trade only for ticks, minutes and daily.

After 3 weeks recording data I checked the size of the dbase again and it grew up like hell, again. I thought with trade record for ticks, minutes and daily data the dbase can't grow up in this size in 3 weeks. Impossible. I have to say that I work with bid/ask data in real-time and history very often. But I just don't to want them recorded, because loading data from history for 5-10 days works just perfect with CQG. That's why I set "Fields to Collect" just for trade data. But when I checked all my imported symbols, there was bid/ask-record checked together with the trade data.

For me, this means, QM or MC does not import/export all settings per symbol 1:1. It activates all the collecting fields and I have to go the hole process again, because deleting bid/ask-records doesn't mean the size of the dbase gets decreased. Is MC aware of that, is this functioning as wanted or is this a "bug".

Sorry for the long story, but sometimes a long story means less questions after .

Thank you.

Regards.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Exporting Symbol & Data via QMD-File

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Nov 2014

Hello Ben,

Let me structure my replies:
  • The data plotted on the chart can be saved to the database or not, depending on the resolution, settings, data vendor. Please see Collecting and Saving Data to MultiCharts Database for more details.
  • "Collect RT data w/o plotting" does not control (allow/prohibit) saving of chart data.
  • When you export instruments into a QMD file - "Fields to collect" options are not exported into this file. So when you import instruments from a QMD file - you need to reconfigure the "Fields to collect" options.
  • That is possible that the data export/import operation can fail due to insufficient amount of free space on your hard drive where the system Temp folders are located.
  • When you delete the data from the data base - the data base size can remain unchanged, because the space remains reserved for future use. If you want to free it up - please follow these instructions: How to Reduce Database Size.

bensat

Re: Exporting Symbol & Data via QMD-File

Postby bensat » 10 Nov 2014

Henry,

many thanks for coming back with some points from your side so quickly.
..... When you export instruments into a QMD file - "Fields to collect" options are not exported into this file. So when you import instruments from a QMD file - you need to reconfigure the "Fields to collect" options.
I got it now, but an import of settings let me expect to find the same settings after the import compared to the export. otherwise I would not need to export the settings. If I don't want to record bid/ask-data, why I should want it after the import, because I took no attention to it to change it (because I did not know) or just TSSupport forced me to record it because it did not export what I want. You may want to think about it.
..... That is possible that the data export/import operation can fail due to insufficient amount of free space on your hard drive where the system Temp folders are located.
My <TEMP>-folder is of the OS-disk and there is/was plenty of space on the disk where the TEMP-folder is placed now.
..... When you delete the data from the data base - the data base size can remain unchanged, because the space remains reserved for future use. If you want to free it up - please follow these instructions: How to Reduce Database Size.
Technically I'm aware of it, understand it and wasn't really complaining about it.

I see no relation to my issue in your following two points.
....... The data plotted on the chart can be saved to the database or not, depending on the resolution, settings, data vendor. Please see Collecting and Saving Data to MultiCharts Database for more details.

and

..... "Collect RT data w/o plotting" does not control (allow/prohibit) saving of chart data.
Would be nice you could take it more clear for me to understand what's going on.

Thank you.

My Regards.

Ben

Return to “MultiCharts”