apply single signal to multiple assets w/o multiple charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MarketMicro

apply single signal to multiple assets w/o multiple charts

Postby MarketMicro » 20 Nov 2014

Hi,

Can one MC signal be applied to multiple assets (stocks) without opening a chart for each?

Thank you in advance.

MM

Henry MultiСharts

Re: apply single signal to multiple assets w/o multiple char

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Nov 2014

Hello MarketMicro,

If you want to trade a certain number of instruments-you need to have a chart open for each symbol.
The signal can trade (send orders) only for the instrument that is the main data series (data1).
You can add second, third, etc. data series (subcharts) with XXX instrument and XXX resolution to your chart and access them from the code.
The same is applied to Portfolio Trader - trading instrument is only data1.

bensat

Postby bensat » 21 Nov 2014

MM,

this is a reasonable question.

I think there are many reasons why you should be able to create orders without opening any chart. I mean, if I'm able to create orders with quantitiy, price limitations and so on, why I should not be able to call a symbol in PL for the order, if the inner circle is already calling the symbol from the chart ? For instance all the portfolio traders, may having some significant exposure in EUR or USD and need to be hedged against currency risks. So I could create orders without any chart automatically if the exposure reaches a limit where you want to act automatically.

You may are considering opening a feature request, so MC can think about and users could provide their thoughts about it. May the majority do not see any need out of it which than will be well respected and your request will be rejected. So for me it is not a necessary feature, but I could imagine some might want to see it.

Good luck with it.

Regards.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

I mean, if I'm able to create orders with quantitiy, price limitations and so on, why I should not be able to call a symbol in PL for the order, if the inner circle is already calling the symbol from the chart ?
That is a limitation of the PowerLanguage. That can be done in MultiCharts .NET.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 21 Nov 2014

I mean, if I'm able to create orders with quantitiy, price limitations and so on, why I should not be able to call a symbol in PL for the order, if the inner circle is already calling the symbol from the chart ?
That is a limitation of the PowerLanguage. That can be done in MultiCharts .NET.
Is this a hard architectural limitation that will require re-write a large part of the software or is it a comparatively softer limitation that can be improved easily if a feature request is made? Can PowerLanguage be expanded to allow this functionality?

It will be very interesting to read a text file containing symbol names from within PowerLanguage, put symbol names into an array, and fire orders on the symbols contained within that array.

MarketMicro

Postby MarketMicro » 21 Nov 2014

There's definitely a need for trading stocks. If I have 30 stocks using the same strategy, it will be more resource efficient to not have to open 30 charts, or even 100 for that matter.

However, the challenge that I can see from an architectural standpoint is when I use tick format instead of 1-min format, where each of the stock symbols would have different bar events. But if MC.net can do that already, I presume the architecture allows for that. In which case, it's only PowerLanguage issue, and this can be remedied by creating more keywords and functions to handle that. Of course, that's an over-simplistic view from my part without knowing how it's built under the hood.

Bottom line is, it would definitely be advantageous to have this capability in PowerLanguage.

Henry MultiСharts

Is this a hard architectural limitation that will require re-write a large part of the software or is it a comparatively softer limitation that can be improved easily if a feature request is made? Can PowerLanguage be expanded to allow this functionality?

It will be very interesting to read a text file containing symbol names from within PowerLanguage, put symbol names into an array, and fire orders on the symbols contained within that array.
This is a hard architectural limitation that requires re-writing a large part of the software.

Return to “MultiCharts”