Sharing MultiCharts database between multiple installations  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
orad

Sharing MultiCharts database between multiple installations

Postby orad » 04 Dec 2014

Hi,

I have MC64, MC.NET and MC64.NET installed on my computer. All installations are version 9.0 and my main database is in MC.NET. Assuming that I will only run one instance of MC at a time, is it possible to point the other two applications to the same database directory as MC.NET? Are these databases compatible in any way, for example if I copy them for each other?

Thanks!

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Sharing MultiCharts database between multiple installati

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 05 Dec 2014

Hello orad,

Most likely it will not work this way. You can try, however we don't recommend that. Please make backups before trying.

arnie

Postby arnie » 05 Dec 2014

Hi,

I have MC64, MC.NET and MC64.NET installed on my computer. All installations are version 9.0 and my main database is in MC.NET. Assuming that I will only run one instance of MC at a time, is it possible to point the other two applications to the same database directory as MC.NET? Are these databases compatible in any way, for example if I copy them for each other?

Thanks!

That is actually a cool idea.
I never tested myself but will certainly try.
The PL and .NET versions should share some files for simplicity.

Something that is shared by both versions is the hotkeys file. So every keyboard shortcut that you set in one version you don't need to create each one of it again. Just copy the hotkeys file and paste it to the other version. Works like a charm ;)

The database file itself I actually never tested but it would be nice if we could.
A simple copy/paste would be awesome instead of the export and import option.

orad

Postby orad » 05 Dec 2014

One feature I would like to suggest is "Import from another MC installation", or even better, "Sync with another MC database", so you get a list of current installations of MC on your computer or over network, or give the path of the other database and it will sync the data for you on both DBs.

I haven't tried sharing the database directories but will post the results here when I do.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 05 Dec 2014

I've been thinking of something very similar. Please post back with your results :)

orad

Postby orad » 05 Dec 2014

One thing that I have tried and it works is to create a directory junction (using MKLINK command, it's like a link to a directory) in place of the MC database directory that targets a different location, for example to a MC database path on a virtual hard disk on another drive mounted in Windows. I used this trick before MC supported changing path of the database directory and it worked just fine. I didn't use it across different editions of MC, though.

janus

Postby janus » 07 Dec 2014

According to the Wiki site, MultiCharts 32 bit databases are incompatible with MultiCharts 64 bit. I was hoping they were compatible a long time ago but after reading that note, I didn't even bother to try to share the database between 32/64 bit versions of MC. As for sharing between MC.PL and MC.NET, I would hope it would work as long as they are both 32 bit or 64 bit, but never tried it.

orad

Postby orad » 20 Dec 2014

OK, I tried cross-referencing MC database directories and it didn't work. I tried pointing database directories of MC64, MC.NET and MC64.NET (all ver 9.0) in different ways and in all cases either symbols are not found or I get other errors.

Related to this, I just created this feature to allow syncing databases between MultiCharts installations:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1818

If you think this is a good feature suggestion, please add your comments in there.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 20 Dec 2014

Related to this, I just created this feature to allow syncing databases between MultiCharts installations:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1818
Good request, I've voted for it.

Don't forget to vote for it yourself. ;)

orad

Postby orad » 13 Nov 2015

Hi, is this supported now in MultiCharts 9.1? (see original post #1)

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Sharing MultiCharts database between multiple installati  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Dec 2015

Hello orad,

This is not something that application is initially designed for, but you can try running the DataUpdater.exe from the respective MultiCharts folder prior to launching the application to make it "see" the updated DataBases path. Please keep in mind that we have not tested it on our end and cannot confirm whether it will work or not. Make sure you've made backup of the files before changing anything.

Return to “MultiCharts”