Indicator on Indicator for .NET

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
christephan

Indicator on Indicator for .NET

Postby christephan » 09 Jan 2015

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... y_on_study
The above page said it is not supported in NET. Any plan to support it in future?

This is quite an important feature that I have a lot of indicators needed to be horizontally/vertically shift, to add ma/xma/... to it, to do + - x / operations, or to plot different color with several threshold values, etc.

In current version, I need to create tons of indicators, e.g., ma on macd, ma on rsi, ma on volumn, ma on adx, xma on macd, xma on rsi, xma on volumn, ma multiples a double value, ma with colour threshold, ...
And also sometimes I need to add colour threshold values on indicators of some other indicators
It's very hard to maintain such a large set of similar codes.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Indicator on Indicator for .NET

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Jan 2015

Hello christephan,

That is not technically possible to implement this functionality same was as it is done in PowerLanguage (via study inputs).
In MultiCharts .NET that is possible to access objects of one study from the another one in the code. Here is a C# example; VB.NET example can be found here.

MidKnight

Re: Indicator on Indicator for .NET

Postby MidKnight » 11 Jan 2015

"That is not technically possible to implement this functionality same was as it is done in PowerLanguage (via study inputs). "

Henry,

I've been dying to ask for a while - why not? Indicator output should be treated as a dataseries just like symbol dataseries. It is an obvious abstraction. Since you say this is not technically possible, why isn't this MAJOR design flaw not being addressed?

When I came to MC.net over 2 years ago, I had expected this to be possible since MC.net was a fairly new product at the time and all the modern charting applications I had been using had allowed indicators to be chained together with having to write new code. I'd just expected this would be the case with MC.net. This type of functionality goes a long ways towards code re-use, quick idea prototyping, ease for new users, and just general usability.

This is MC.net's biggest and most obvious design flaw - IMO. It needs to be addressed.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”