Auto-Trading Multiple Strategies

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tony

Auto-Trading Multiple Strategies

Postby tony » 20 Mar 2015

I understand this can be done in theory, but in practicality I'm curious if anyone does the following and if so, do they notice any problems in terms of script calculation, trade execution, general latency issues, etc.

I have one MC license right now and am testing a new signal. Before I buy another machine and another MC license, I wanted to run two work spaces under one MC license with one WS running one signal for ES, and the other WS a separate signal for ZB, with both auto-trading the same funded account.

I briefly tried this remotely for a client about a year ago, and was not able to properly monitor and thought there might have been a problem doing this. But I never ran the trial long enough to fully be appreciative.

TJ

Re: Auto-Trading Multiple Strategies

Postby TJ » 20 Mar 2015

I understand this can be done in theory, but in practicality I'm curious if anyone does the following and if so, do they notice any problems in terms of script calculation, trade execution, general latency issues, etc.

I have one MC license right now and am testing a new signal. Before I buy another machine and another MC license, I wanted to run two work spaces under one MC license with one WS running one signal for ES, and the other WS a separate signal for ZB, with both auto-trading the same funded account.

I briefly tried this remotely for a client about a year ago, and was not able to properly monitor and thought there might have been a problem doing this. But I never ran the trial long enough to fully be appreciative.
Maybe I do not understand your question...

Most people run multiple strategies on multiple instruments in the same machine at the same time.

The only time a problem can arise is when you try to trade multiple strategies on the same instrument. And that is a strategy issue, not a MultiCharts issue.
(there is an article in wiki explaining the issues)

tony

Thanks. You understand the question correctly. I know in theory it works fine, but was curious if anyone had experienced any problems in a live, real world scenario. I had done this for about a week with a client, who was remote and thought there may have been a problem, but I was not there to monitor closely.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Mar 2015

Thanks. You understand the question correctly. I know in theory it works fine, but was curious if anyone had experienced any problems in a live, real world scenario. I had done this for about a week with a client, who was remote and thought there may have been a problem, but I was not there to monitor closely.
Not only in theory it works, but that's what people do in practice day-in and day-out since MultiCharts version 1.
How do you think people trade before the "Portfolio Trader"?

Is there anywhere in any literature (or forum discussion) that has hints at such restriction?
The only limitation lies in your hardware capacity and internet throughput.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 20 Mar 2015

I don't know anyone who doesn't trade multiple strategies with this software.

tony

I know of one, that would be me.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 20 Mar 2015

:)

Post back with more questions if you're curious. I have dozens of strategies going

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Mar 2015

As with any implementation, you MUST do your own diligence.
You should test out your concept with a live demo account. This will stress test not only your method, but your computer, internet, and your broker connection.

tony

Postby tony » 21 Mar 2015

I appreciate the feedback. I realize this topic is a somewhat naive sounding post. But since running a live system, I learned to never assume anything is going to be seamless. Thank you for your posts.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 21 Mar 2015

I wanted to run two work spaces under one MC license with one WS running one signal for ES, and the other WS a separate signal for ZB, with both auto-trading the same funded account.
Yes, this is routine for almost any MC customer who autotrades (incl. me).

Certainly you should model what you intend to do with a demo account first before jumping in with real money.

Return to “MultiCharts”