Portfolio Trader Data Error

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
DrLime

Portfolio Trader Data Error

Postby DrLime » 21 Mar 2015

I recently upgraded from MC8 to version 9, and am now getting an error in the porfolio trader whenever I try to run a strategy with instruments at 1 day or larger resolution:

"Data for none of the loaded symbols is sufficient for backtesting or optimization. Operation complete." Screenshot attached below.

I've tried a number of different instruments and strategies, and I always encounter this error when setting the resolution to 1 day, week, or month. Doesn't matter the instrument, the data range, or how many bars are required by the strategy.

I'm using DTN IQ feed (client version 5.1.1.3).

Has anyone seen this before or have a solution? My googling and searching this forum & support wiki have turned up nothing.
Attachments
backtest error.png
(76.31 KiB) Downloaded 731 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Portfolio Trader Data Error

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Mar 2015

Hello DrLime,

Most likely you have specified MaxBarsBack value that is higher than the specified DataRange. Please right click on the strategy->Show properties->Properties. Set a correct "Maximum number of bars study will reference".

• MaxBarsBack is the amount of bars that would be used for initial script calculation, to get the initial value of functions, variables. This amount of bars would be skipped, so you will see a first signal on maxbarsback+1 bar (for ex, may vary depending on the strategy).
• For signals - the minimum MaxBarsBack is the largest MaxBarsBack required by all signals applied to the chart. For ex. you have data1=1 min, data2=1 day. If an Average in your code references data2 with Length=10, then the required MaxBarsBack value is 10. 10 days of data will be skipped on both series. If your code does not reference additional data series then bars of data1 will be skipped only.
• For indicators - the minimum MaxBarsBack is the largest look back (Length) required for calculation in this indicator.
• Chart data range should be higher than MaxBarsBack value.
• If your MaxBarsBack value is not enough the study would not be calculated and will show an error message.
• If your MaxBarsBack is too high (more than the amount of bars on your chart) then the study will be waiting for the required amount of bars. On the chart you can see "Strategy calculating" message in such case or "Calculating" for an indicator.

Return to “MultiCharts”