Can MC.NET show a chart with indicators during backtesting?

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Sylpha

Can MC.NET show a chart with indicators during backtesting?

Postby Sylpha » 25 Apr 2015

I am from NT7 so I am looking for some features like:

When I back test a strategy, the system can show a chart and displaying all the entry/exist orders and the plot of all the indicators involves in the signal(s). So that I can have a visual view about how the signal working on a data series instead of just look at the numerical result.

I understand I can manually add a signal to a chart but it is detached from the backtesting so it is quite inconvenient for user, since user has to add the signal to the chart once and run another backtest.

jarym

Re: Can MC.NET show a chart with indicators during backtesti

Postby jarym » 26 Apr 2015

Hi,

We're able to do this by moving all our signal generation code into a function. From this function we create a strategy and an indicator. The indicator plots on the chart some internals while the strategy goes long/short.

The combined effect I think achieves the same as what you're looking for: we can see the backtest entries and exits overlayed with whatever chart drawings are added from the indicator.

It may seem inconvenient but this type of code separation is on balance good once a strategy becomes more sophisticated.

Sylpha

Postby Sylpha » 26 Apr 2015

Thanks for answering this!

Does it mean I can use the Plot.Set(Bars.Close[0]) inside a strategy?

If so, then how can I call the chart from the backtesting?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 30 Apr 2015

Thanks for answering this!

Does it mean I can use the Plot.Set(Bars.Close[0]) inside a strategy?

If so, then how can I call the chart from the backtesting?
Hello Sylpha,

In MultCharts you need to create a chart or Portfolio first, then apply a signal to it to perform backtesting. You can see backtesting results on your chart/in report window. Indicators can also be plotted on a chart.
Plots can be done by indicators only. Signals can place drawings (text, arrow, trendline).
That is possible to send a value from a signal to an indicator to do the plot: How to plot values from a strategy in an indicator using SetPlotValue and GetPlotValue.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”