Indicator default subcharts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PD Quig

Indicator default subcharts

Postby PD Quig » 02 May 2015

What was the resolution to this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10508&hilit=indicator+subchart

Why do some indicators get "stuck" with the wrong subchart selected for every chart to which they are applied? I have attempted to select the "Use as Default" checkbox, save the workspace, but the Properties tab still defaults to the "Show on Bottom" selection for one of my indicators. When adding this indicator to any new chart, it is incorrectly added as "Show on Bottom," requiring manual adjustment.

Granted, this is a relatively minor annoyance, but why does the "Use as Default" checkbox not work as expected? In my opinion, selecting that checkbox should result in the indicator being applied to the default subchart any time it is added to any new chart--or when it is removed from and re-added to a chart. The user should not have to Format Study>Properties>SubChart> re-select the proper subchart. It is not at all clear to me why some of my indicators behave as desired and others do not.

Since the "Use as Default" checkbox does not work as expected, is there a workaround other than manually messing with the Properties tab every time?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Indicator default subcharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 May 2015

Hello PD Quig,

When you apply an indicator to a chart it can be plotted either on the main subchart with the data series or on a new subchart which is automatically added at the bottom. The behavior is being controlled by the option “Same as symbol” in the study properties (PLEditor->Open required study->File->Properties->Properties).
"Use as Default" checkbox under the Properties tab is not applied to the Subchart selector.

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 May 2015

Hello PD Quig,
::
"Use as Default" checkbox under the Properties tab is not applied to the Subchart selector.
They should though.
I don't see why not; each indicator has an expected location -- a moving average type indicator will always be in the main chart and it will NEVER be used in a subchart. Conversely an oscillator indicator will NEVER be used in the main chart. This is not really an "option" that needs to be considered each time the indicator is applied. The default should be set in a simple check box once and be forgotten. It is an annoyance having to change the selection every time when life could be a lot easier if it is saved to the "default".

ps. the same complaint goes to the Scaling > User Defined option. The setting should be saveable to the chart, so that when the chart is loaded the next day, the scaling should be the same.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 04 May 2015

Thanks, Henry. That's good to know, even though it is not exactly intuitive. I think users expect that the "Use as Default" selection pertains to all properties on the tab.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 May 2015

Hello PD Quig,
::
They should though.
I don't see why not; each indicator has an expected location -- a moving average type indicator will always be in the main chart and it will NEVER be used in a subchart. Conversely an oscillator indicator will NEVER be used in the main chart. This is not really an "option" that needs to be considered each time the indicator is applied. The default should be set in a simple check box once and be forgotten. It is an annoyance having to change the selection every time when life could be a lot easier if it is saved to the "default".
TJ,

The option in the study properties does exactly what you describe:
When you apply an indicator to a chart it can be plotted either on the main subchart with the data series or on a new subchart which is automatically added at the bottom. The behavior is being controlled by the option “Same as symbol” in the study properties (PLEditor->Open required study->File->Properties->Properties).
ps. the same complaint goes to the Scaling > User Defined option. The setting should be saveable to the chart, so that when the chart is loaded the next day, the scaling should be the same.
User Defined scaling is stored in the worksapce and it not being reset since MultiCharts 9.0 Beta 1.

Return to “MultiCharts”