When Can you Not Use Bar Magnifier and Intra-Bar-Order Gen.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mcjohn

When Can you Not Use Bar Magnifier and Intra-Bar-Order Gen.

Postby mcjohn » 19 May 2015

Is the only precise way to backtest by using the Bar Magnifier and Intra-Bar-Order Generation?

What if the strategy code is set to buy/sell next bar open, or buy/sell this bar close?
Or, what about i.e. Sell next bar at (variable name) limit?

Will backtesting with any of the above produce accurate results without using the Bar Mag. and IBOG? If not what can, and if nothing then why even make the Bar Mag and IBOG optional?

Thank you.

John

JoshM

Re: When Can you Not Use Bar Magnifier and Intra-Bar-Order G

Postby JoshM » 19 May 2015

What if the strategy code is set to buy/sell next bar open, or buy/sell this bar close?
I don't think IOG and the Bar Magnifier are needed for such a strategy, but I rarely don't use IOG.
Or, what about i.e. Sell next bar at (variable name) limit?
You'd still have intra-bar price movement assumptions that are made more accurate with the Bar Magnifier, such as when you sell the next bar with a limit order but also have a tight stop-loss: will the stop-loss be triggered next bar before the limit order or vice versa?
why even make the Bar Mag and IBOG optional?
Because both slow down script calculations it's nice they are optional. Also, the Bar Magnifier requires historical data that may not be present for the full historical time period (for example when backtesting on minute data, the user may not have tick data for the whole backtest period).

Return to “MultiCharts”