Oanda REST API

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
masterchanger

Oanda REST API

Postby masterchanger » 16 Sep 2015

I run MC64 and Portfolio Trader in a VPN environment and I have had three outages( unable to connect to REST API) occerrences in the last 2 weeks usually beginning in the early morning hours EST and lasting 24+ hours each time. I migrated to a VPN environment to avoid intermittent internet outages that and run other programs which are not connected to the Oanda REST API, without incident. I have reported such outages and even used online chat, but was only advised to reset my password! I have not received any feedback, other than an automated message acknowledging my report of inability to logon, or even a notice that the service should be up and running.
My log shows errors such as: RatesRespCallback exc Status= ProtocolError
Connect failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I get a blank Oanda logon box and sometimes multiple boxes(blank as in completely blank with no text or input boxes, no buttons.

I run OandaFX Trade and it is never down.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

JoshM

Re: Oanda REST API

Postby JoshM » 16 Sep 2015

My log shows errors such as: RatesRespCallback exc Status= ProtocolError
Connect failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Object references errors are typically programming errors (in C#). Adding to that, the error messages that the OANDA API can generate (see here) don't include such an message. While I don't want to call this a bug immediately, it does look like a programming error somewhere.

You can find the OANDA API status here. If you click on one of the items listed here (if you tried to connect with a funded account, select fxTrade REST API), you can see the history for when it was down.

masterchanger

Postby masterchanger » 16 Sep 2015

Thanks JoshM,

From the links you posted the live account API is working fine.
It is possibly a MC bug.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Sep 2015

Hello masterchanger,

In order to study this case please provide the information Christina requested in the live chat:
Please send us MultiCharts logs to support@multicharts.com or send them to ftp: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs
Please also attach screenshots of the errors so the time when they appeared would be seen. This information will be forwarded to the developers for investigation.

masterchanger

Postby masterchanger » 22 Sep 2015

When it happens again I'll preserve the logs and take screenshots to send for analysis.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 26 Sep 2015

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Is it that MultiCharts is not yet smoothly integrated with OANDA data to provide continuous price stream of uniform quality? At times it feels that way! Even though the trading data which in my case comes from a sub-account just about never hiccups, the chart data from the primary account quite often stops updating at times for some of the charts, at other times for all the charts.

In the attached screenshot, the trading data is circled green; the chart data is circled red.
I run OandaFX Trade and it is never down.
In over 5 years I have run fxTrade, it has never been down!

Khalid
Attachments
OANDA_charts stop updating.png
(86.85 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 26 Sep 2015

Is it that MultiCharts is not yet smoothly integrated with OANDA data to provide continuous price stream of uniform quality? At times it feels that way! Even though the trading data which in my case comes from a sub-account just about never hiccups, the chart data from the primary account quite often stops updating at times for some of the charts, at other times for all the charts.
I must hasten to add, the above is not a complaint! The way I like to trade, I only need accurately updated charts once per day at the close -- and these I get every time. Therefore, for me, it is actually a good thing the charts stop updating a quite soon after being populated; a chart which does not update will not give the itch to needlessly trade!!!

Khalid

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Oct 2015

Is it that MultiCharts is not yet smoothly integrated with OANDA data to provide continuous price stream of uniform quality? At times it feels that way! Even though the trading data which in my case comes from a sub-account just about never hiccups, the chart data from the primary account quite often stops updating at times for some of the charts, at other times for all the charts. In the attached screenshot, the trading data is circled green; the chart data is circled red.
Hello Khalid,

There are no outstanding issues with Oanda connection that we are aware of at the moment.
What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 01 Oct 2015

Is it that MultiCharts is not yet smoothly integrated with OANDA data to provide continuous price stream of uniform quality? At times it feels that way! Even though the trading data which in my case comes from a sub-account just about never hiccups, the chart data from the primary account quite often stops updating at times for some of the charts, at other times for all the charts. In the attached screenshot, the trading data is circled green; the chart data is circled red.
Hello Khalid,

There are no outstanding issues with Oanda connection that we are aware of at the moment.
What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)
Thank you, Henry for giving this your valuable time. As I previously said, my post is not a complaint. Neither do I think this is MultiCharts issue. I have one Primary account, and number of sub-accounts. To operate MultiCharts fully with OANDA, at times I login twice: once for chart data (Primary account), and a second time to trade an account which is not listed in the first login window. I think the problem is the limitations of the OANDA login window.

Anyway, now that you have asked, I shall detail the matter fully in a few days for your consideration.

I am presently using the Release Candidate.

Khalid

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Oct 2015

Hello Khalid,

Thank you, Henry for giving this your valuable time. As I previously said, my post is not a complaint. Neither do I think this is MultiCharts issue. I have one Primary account, and number of sub-accounts. To operate MultiCharts fully with OANDA, at times I login twice: once for chart data (Primary account), and a second time to trade an account which is not listed in the first login window. I think the problem is the limitations of the OANDA login window.

Anyway, now that you have asked, I shall detail the matter fully in a few days for your consideration.

I am presently using the Release Candidate.

Khalid
Hello Khalid,

That is not possible to log into two different accounts (different login/password) of the same type at a time. You can log into Live account and Demo account at the same time, but not two Live connections or two Demo connections simultaneously.

Zoli

Postby Zoli » 21 Oct 2015

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem, it is not an isolated situation, it happens on different machines pretty often.

I run 41 charts on Oanda and I observe 3 scenarios:

1 - both data feed and order connection (bid/ask) are live
2 - data feed not updating and order connection live
3 - both data feed and order connection are NOT updating

It might have something to do with the number of charts simultaneously open as some update some don't. I have to restart the platform several times to make it work.
Today for instance there was no way to make them all update after several platform restarts so I decided to stop using it until the fix is found.
Attachments
oanda_mc.png
(60.06 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Oct 2015

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem, it is not an isolated situation, it happens on different machines pretty often.

I run 41 charts on Oanda and I observe 3 scenarios:

1 - both data feed and order connection (bid/ask) are live
2 - data feed not updating and order connection live
3 - both data feed and order connection are NOT updating

It might have something to do with the number of charts simultaneously open as some update some don't. I have to restart the platform several times to make it work.
Today for instance there was no way to make them all update after several platform restarts so I decided to stop using it until the fix is found.
Hello Zoli,

When this behavior is replicated please send us the logs for analysis:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs
Please also email us full sized screenshots demonstrating MultiCharts window and your system current time to support@multicharts.com

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely. We will collect all of the required information.

Return to “MultiCharts”