tsserver.exe and CPU load

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Leo

tsserver.exe and CPU load

Postby Leo » 28 Oct 2015

Hi all,

I'm running MC on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with 4 Gb of RAM, and can frquently observe an abnormal (50%) and constant CPU load by tsserver.exe. The only thing I can do is to reboot the machine and was not able to identify a possible cause.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

TJ

Re: tsserver.exe and CPU load

Postby TJ » 28 Oct 2015

Hi all,

I'm running MC on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with 4 Gb of RAM, and can frquently observe an abnormal (50%) and constant CPU load by tsserver.exe. The only thing I can do is to reboot the machine and was not able to identify a possible cause.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
4 GB RAM?

You need more.

Try 8 GB or more.

Leo

Postby Leo » 28 Oct 2015

Thank you, I thought that might be the problem, however I've currently 2.35 Gb busy and if I shutdown MC, thus freeing more memory, tsserver.exe activity continues at the same rate.
I've read other users reporting the same problem in the last year but couldn't find a solution.

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Oct 2015

Thank you, I thought that might be the problem, however I've currently 2.35 Gb busy and if I shutdown MC, thus freeing more memory, tsserver.exe activity continues at the same rate.
I've read other users reporting the same problem in the last year but couldn't find a solution.
The OS alone is going to require 2 GB.

If you do not see higher memory utilization, and you see abnormal and constant CPU load, that is because your computer is busy swapping your RAM to harddisk. Too much swapping will cause your machine to crash, that is just a Windows issue, not MultiCharts' fault.

Memory is expensive for old machines,
but there is no other way out. 4GB is not much good for almost anything except web browsing. It is definitely not enough for serious trading.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 31 Oct 2015

I also use (and have used) MultiCharts (.NET) on computers with 4GB of RAM and had no problem with tsserver.exe using a lot of CPU and remaining busy after closing MC. It was my impression that auto-trading with the accompanied logging to file causes a lot of use in tsserver.exe, but I might be mistaken.

I'd suggest you collect MultiCharts logs and send them to support. They can help you identify what is causing this abnormal CPU usage.

Return to “MultiCharts”