transfer TradingCenter data between machines  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

transfer TradingCenter data between machines

Postby arnie » 12 Nov 2015

Hi.

Can you find a way for us to easily transfer our TradingCenter data between computers.
I trade in my desktop and sometimes at night I like to grab my laptop and study the trades I did that day on the charts.
All this data is stored in the TradingCenter folders and an easy way was always create a copy of it and then paste it into my laptop.
This worked for some time but now I'm always having issues because it says I have no permission to do that operation which is one of those annoying Windows pop up warnings.

It would be great if we could easily move this data so one could transfer it without any problems.

Technically speaking I have no idea if this is possible but you should make all MC files that contain user data in a way that can be moved between computers without creating problems, in Windows and of course, in MC itself.
We should be able to grab all the database files (data and studies), shortcuts, trading, everything, copy it and then paste it into another MC copy in another computer and be ready to go.

evdl

Re: transfer TradingCenter data between machines

Postby evdl » 12 Nov 2015

Yes, ideally without manually the moving of data.

The ability to save all data in a central place and access this data with multiple computers (if you have the licenses or one at a time)

For example: have one place for user settings, have one database of quotes and one place of studies/indicators and be able to store this where you want by putting the location in the settings. (cloud or server etc.) Be able to access this with your backtest pc and your trading pc. Without the need to copy studies, indicators, workspaces, and databases on a daily basis.

arnie

Postby arnie » 12 Nov 2015

Yes, that would be very useful.
In theory, we could do that in a very simple way. Put the folders in a cloud service which sync everything with all your machines.
So all data that is user based, like workspaces, database, studies, shortcuts, would be put in a cloud server that would then sync to the other machines.

This would need to be done in a way that each user could use whatever cloud service he wants, Dropbox, OneDrive...

Again, for sure MC would need to be worked out in its core structure so files from one machine do not mess up the software in another machine.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: transfer TradingCenter data between machines  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Nov 2015

This worked for some time but now I'm always having issues because it says I have no permission to do that operation which is one of those annoying Windows pop up warnings.
Hello arnie,

MultiCharts does not set any limits for this folder, so this is OS setup issue. Please configure permissions for the required folders for your user account.

arnie

Postby arnie » 20 Nov 2015

Hello arnie,

MultiCharts does not set any limits for this folder, so this is OS setup issue. Please configure permissions for the required folders for your user account.
Thanks Henry.
Worked like a charm :)

But please take notice with the management regarding a possible way to make the user files of MC set up in a way that we can move them between PC's without creating turmoils, like crashes or not recognizing the files.

A simple example is the Hotkeys file from .NET in my desktop, when I copy it and then paste it into my laptop, for some reason MC did not recognize it. I had to set all shortcut keys again.

Maybe it's a Windows thing, I don't know, but it would be great if all these files could be easily shared between PC's.

Return to “MultiCharts”