MC doesn't shut down properly  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Dirk8

MC doesn't shut down properly

Postby Dirk8 » 20 Dec 2015

After closing my desktop in MC and exit, I saw sometimes a small window processing something in the database.

Now it isn't anymore. Everytime I start up my desktop it takes too long to see my charts just because MC has to look for the data in TWS again.
I see that because I get annoying historical data pacing violation errors for many hours.

In the task manager - after exiting MC - I still see a proces called "tsServer" and "Tradingserver".

How comes that MC doesn't shut down properly?
(i alreay tried to disable Mc Afee security and looked up information on the forum)

I don't dare to end the processing because that would probably cause that I have to wait for all the data again when I restart.

Because there's some tickdata, after shutting down I gave MC the whole night to close nicely but that was no solution.

TJ

Re: MC doesn't shut down properly

Postby TJ » 20 Dec 2015

After closing my desktop in MC and exit, I saw sometimes a small window processing something in the database.

Now it isn't anymore. Everytime I start up my desktop it takes too long to see my charts just because MC has to look for the data in TWS again.
I see that because I get annoying historical data pacing violation errors for many hours.

In the task manager - after exiting MC - I still see a proces called "tsServer" and "Tradingserver".

How comes that MC doesn't shut down properly?
(i alreay tried to disable Mc Afee security and looked up information on the forum)

I don't dare to end the processing because that would probably cause that I have to wait for all the data again when I restart.

Because there's some tickdata, after shutting down I gave MC the whole night to close nicely but that was no solution.
Do you do a daily reboot of your computer?
How often do you exit your MultiCharts?

To fix the missing data problem:
Please reboot your computer now and start MultiCharts again.
Make sure you have checked the box for "Download Missing Historical Data".
Open the workspaces you use every day.
MultiCharts will now download any missing data.
THis might take some time if you have lots of data holes.

After all the data are downloaded (ie chart is plotted), close MultiCharts.
Wait for MultiCharts to save the data to your computer.

Check your Windows TaskManger,
make sure all the MultiCharts processes are completed.
Now your database should be up to date, and opening charts should be faster.

In the future, before you shut down your computer or restart MultiCharts,
make sure all the MultiCharts processes are completed.

Dirk8

Postby Dirk8 » 24 Dec 2015

Thanks for your full answer.

I shut down MC and reboot once a week.
If this is not often enough, how comes that MC doesn' t shut down properly after one week.

"...before you shut down your computer or restart MultiCharts, make sure all the MultiCharts processes are completed."

>> ok, but what can I do when I still see some MC processing after closing MC?

TJ

Postby TJ » 24 Dec 2015

Thanks for your full answer.

I shut down MC and reboot once a week.
If this is not often enough, how comes that MC doesn' t shut down properly after one week.
I am not implying whether you shut down often enough or not. You have to make the decision based on your trading method.

MultiCharts keeps the quote in RAM cache. When you exit the MC program, the data will be saved to your harddisk. The longer the time interval between closing the MultiCharts, the more data is accumulated in the RAM cache, and thus the longer time it takes for MultiCharts to save the data. ie. you have to be patient and wait until all the MC processes are closed before shutting down your computer.
"...before you shut down your computer or restart MultiCharts, make sure all the MultiCharts processes are completed."

>> ok, but what can I do when I still see some MC processing after closing MC?
If there are MC processes refuse to close, then your computer/Windows/MultiCharts is corrupted. Your data in the RAM cache will not be recoverable.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Dec 2015

Hello Dirk8,

We need to have the dumps for this occurrence. When MultiCharts freezes please leave it running (do not end any processes).
Go to Start->All programs->MultiCharts64 ->LogsCollector.
The tool will collect the logs, create dump files, zip them and upload to our FTP.
Please let me know when you upload the dumps and I will forward them to our engineers for analysis. After that is done you can end the processes and restart MultiCharts.

Since version 9.0 (in 64 bit edition only) the operation speed of MultiCharts has been increased by using a RAM Cache (in 64 bit MC only).
It means there is no file cache and if the application is shutdown incorrectly the data from the cache will be lost.

If you want to get back to file cache you need to run the registry editor and go to the following path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Storage\UseFileCache
By default UseFileCache = 0 (file cache is disabled).
Please set UseFileCache = 1 (enable file cache).
Changes will come into effect after all MultiCharts processes are restarted.
When file cache is enabled MultiCharts will try to restore the data on the next run in case it finished last time incorrectly.

Dirk8

Postby Dirk8 » 30 Dec 2015

When I open my desktop with offline data, I get charts quite quickly with data untill today.

When I close and open the desktop again with online data and filling missing data, it takes much more time. The charts are freezing waiting to get backfilled.

After shutting down, the TSserver (91 MB) and Tradingserver (9 MB) processes are still running in the task manager.

So I did the LogCollector. It is transferred now.

I use McAfee Total protection after having a ransomware attack some months ago deleting all documents and images.

Dirk8

Re: MC doesn't shut down properly  [SOLVED]

Postby Dirk8 » 13 Jan 2016

Thanks Henry for the file to install that fixed the problem

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Jan 2016

The module with the fix for the issue will become available in the next version of MultiCharts.

Return to “MultiCharts”