Futures Contract rollover basic  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
benho

Futures Contract rollover basic

Postby benho » 27 Dec 2015

Hi there,

I have been testing MultiCharts for about 1 month to trade HSI. The current contract month is (HSIZ15) DEC2015 which will be expired next week, next contract month is HSIF16. Currently I have the following symbol registered in QuoteManager:
Symbol: HSIZ15
Symbol Root: HSI

My question is:
1. If I don't need to build continuous contract in MC, to roll over contracts to next month, can I just simply change the current QuoteManager symbol from HSIZ15 to HSIF16 without creating a new HSIF16 symbol in QuoteManager ?

2. If I want to build continuous contract (custom futures) in MC, I understand that I need to build the roll-over rules and next month contract (HSIF16 here). My question is, in such case, there will be many many HSIxxx symbols defined in QuoteManager as time goes by, am I right ? Currently my custom platform just keep one single MySQL database, feeling lean and clean. Can I do that in MC ?

Thanks.

TJ

Re: Futures Contract rollover basic

Postby TJ » 27 Dec 2015

Hi there,

I have been testing MultiCharts for about 1 month to trade HSI. The current contract month is (HSIZ15) DEC2015 which will be expired next week, next contract month is HSIF16. Currently I have the following symbol registered in QuoteManager:
Symbol: HSIZ15
Symbol Root: HSI

My question is:
1. If I don't need to build continuous contract in MC, to roll over contracts to next month, can I just simply change the current QuoteManager symbol from HSIZ15 to HSIF16 without creating a new HSIF16 symbol in QuoteManager ?

2. If I want to build continuous contract (custom futures) in MC, I understand that I need to build the roll-over rules and next month contract (HSIF16 here). My question is, in such case, there will be many many HSIxxx symbols defined in QuoteManager as time goes by, am I right ? Currently my custom platform just keep one single MySQL database, feeling lean and clean. Can I do that in MC ?

Thanks.
1. You should add the new symbol.

2. The MultiCharts database is very fast and efficient. All the symbols are saved into one database in your computer.

benho

Thankyou TJ.

(2) I know there are only a few files in the multicharts database folder. My concerns is there are many items/symbols defined in 'QuoteManager' as time goes by. These expired contracts shall not be deleted if one wants to build continuous contracts, right ?

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Dec 2015

Thankyou TJ.

(2) I know there are only a few files in the multicharts database folder. My concerns is there are many items/symbols defined in 'QuoteManager' as time goes by. These expired contracts shall not be deleted if one wants to build continuous contracts, right ?
MultiCharts is in its 9th iteration -- VERSION 9 !!!!

There are many users (like me) who has been using this program for 10+ years. We track multiple symbols over multiple markets, including HSI.

If there is an architectural design fault with such a basic and fundamental component of the software, you will not be the first one to discover it. :-)

benho

Thanks TJ,

There is no doubt that the MultiCharts database is very fast and efficient. I just wonder if these expired contracts can be removed ?

TJ

Re: Futures Contract rollover basic  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 27 Dec 2015

Thanks TJ,

There is no doubt that the MultiCharts database is very fast and efficient. I just wonder if these expired contracts can be removed ?
Yes you can remove any unwanted data.
Simply go to your QuoteManger, highlight the symbol and click "delete".

But why do you want to remove expired contracts?
To make the database even faster? smaller? Why?
You can delete any old symbols and make the database smaller.
Just don't come back and ask me why your continuous contract has no data.

I have 10 years of HSI in my computer, and MultiCharts runs just fine.
I don't understand your concern.

Return to “MultiCharts”