General amateur questions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Hubace789

General amateur questions

Postby Hubace789 » 27 Dec 2015

1) If I plot points on any chart along with other various hand drawn lines, will they appear during data replay mode?
2) Is it possible to integrate a completely separate and independent data set into multicharts? Example: I have a data set of fundamental values in excel that I would like to be visually applied to a specific ticker and chart in multicharts.
3) When performing data playback, is there a feature or script that can show a msgbox of the running totals for pnl and wins/losses and any other customizable criteria?
4) During data playback, is there any script or feature that can prompt a visual msgbox when a certain date is hit? For example, replay data from 2005 until present. Every 52w high prompt msgbox saying 52whigh, same thing for every low, and basically, full customization of any point to create a personalized history of a symbol.

Thanks for any help all

TJ

Re: General amateur questions

Postby TJ » 27 Dec 2015

1) If I plot points on any chart along with other various hand drawn lines, will they appear during data replay mode?
YES
2) Is it possible to integrate a completely separate and independent data set into multicharts? Example: I have a data set of fundamental values in excel that I would like to be visually applied to a specific ticker and chart in multicharts.
See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9951
3) When performing data playback, is there a feature or script that can show a msgbox of the running totals for pnl and wins/losses and any other customizable criteria?
You can write a script to do that.
4) During data playback, is there any script or feature that can prompt a visual msgbox when a certain date is hit? For example, replay data from 2005 until present. Every 52w high prompt msgbox saying 52whigh, same thing for every low, and basically, full customization of any point to create a personalized history of a symbol.

Thanks for any help all
You can write a script to do that.

Hubace789

Thanks TJ. With regards to 3 and 4 (writing a script), do you have advice whether I'm better suited to use mc.net or original mc? I.e. for my wishes, should I stick with my .net subscription or can I switch to EL without any drawbacks? Thanks for your time

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Dec 2015

Thanks TJ. With regards to 3 and 4 (writing a script), do you have advice whether I'm better suited to use mc.net or original mc? I.e. for my wishes, should I stick with my .net subscription or can I switch to EL without any drawbacks? Thanks for your time
If you can program in C#, you should have no problem with EasyLanguage.
(but not the other way around.)

You have to test it out yourself.
MultiCharts has a free 30 day trial. You can give it a try and see.
Look at the example on the link I provided. You can read the script and see if you can manage the logic.

Hubace789

Many thanks. As long as EL can handle these types of aesthetic scripts and eternal data sets then thatd better suit me as my c# skills have degraded and I don't want to put the time investment back in at this point.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 30 Dec 2015

A text box, yes. But a message box, no (unless you use a DLL).
You can plot a text box on the chart with various keywords (see here), but a prompting message box is not possible natively in PowerLanguage. There is an Expert Commentary window in both MultiCharts versions, but that doesn't behave like a typical message box does.

Hubace789

Postby Hubace789 » 30 Dec 2015

Thanks, and forgive my stupidity, but a prompted message box is optimal for 4, and, If not possible in powerlanguage then can it be possible in .net? Essentially, during data playback I just would like to have pre-written concatenate statements pop up or be able to have a dynamic way to watch the playback (ability to control its speed... Slow down during chop, speed up during dead times).

The textbox will work for the running data as long as the textbox can remain a fixed overlay on the chart and keep a total pnl and stats sheet as the playback progresses, rather than just a report of the performance afterwards.

damnpenguins

Postby damnpenguins » 31 Dec 2015

Thanks, and forgive my stupidity, but a prompted message box is optimal for 4, and, If not possible in powerlanguage then can it be possible in .net? Essentially, during data playback I just would like to have pre-written concatenate statements pop up or be able to have a dynamic way to watch the playback (ability to control its speed... Slow down during chop, speed up during dead times).

The textbox will work for the running data as long as the textbox can remain a fixed overlay on the chart and keep a total pnl and stats sheet as the playback progresses, rather than just a report of the performance afterwards.
Don't forget autohotkey and ShellExecute. I've been able to integrate a confirmation msgbox into a couple of indis etc lately.

Just spitballing but any trigger could be used (Mouseclick sequence, newbar, new day etc) and then call the autohotkey script via ShellExecute, you can easily pass it parameters etc. Not as robust a solution as DLL etc but simple and quick enough to test out an idea.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49230&hilit=shellexecute for more info.

Hubace789

Postby Hubace789 » 31 Dec 2015

Hey thanks very much for the alternatives. Honestly I'm very foreign to these methods so it'll take me a while to fully understand but I've got a great place to start. Thanks all!

Return to “MultiCharts”