Chart is not updating, QM no data come in  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
benho

Chart is not updating, QM no data come in

Postby benho » 18 Jan 2016

hello,

There is something strange with my MC this morning:
1. I have been testing the current MC platform for more than 1 month. So far so good. Nothing changed recently. Last week everything is fine.

2 This morning (Mon, HKT) I start MC & QM as usual. However, I notice that there is no tick data come in for 3 symbols after the market is opened: HHI (HKFE), HSI (HKFE) & K200@KSE.

3. The othe charts are ok. My data feed is IB. TWS/IB is ok. My own DDE and C# systems are both recording data coming in for the above 3 symbols.

4. Another strange thing is the following error message for HHI & HSI symbols:
No security definition has been found: Symbol= HHIF16;Trade;HKFE;FUT;USD;

The currency I set for these two symbols is HKD. I just checked again, the record is still HKD, how come the error message showed USD. Is it the root cause of the current problem ?

Attached are my MC screen and QM settings for reference. BTW, I tried to close MC and QM and restart them. But there is still no data coming in for these 3 symbols. Very strange. Any hint is appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
hsi-setting1.jpg
hsi QM setting
(74.77 KiB) Downloaded 587 times

benho

Re: Chart is not updating, QM no data come in

Other screen shots for ref.
Attachments
hsi-hhi-error.jpg
HSI and HHI error msg
(55.21 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

benho

MC chart attached.
(Sorry for multiple messages, it seems that I can't attached more than 1 file in a message.)
Attachments
mc-screen.jpg
(222.78 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

benho

Re: Chart is not updating, QM no data come in -- Root Cause

Hi there,

I think I find the potential root cause of the problem.

I modified the "Description" field of the 3 symbols in the QM last night -- actually I modified the "Description" field of the other symbols also. I just made the description a little bit shorter, only. The other charts are updating as usual except the 3 symbols HHI.HK, HSI & K200.

When I change the "Description" field of the 3 symbols back to the original descriptions, re-connect symbol again, data come in immediately.

I don't want to do experiment to prove this is the root cause. However, I believe most people will think that this "Description" field shall be something "for reference" only. Is there a bug ?

Thank you for your attentions.
Attachments
setting-change.jpg
(50.79 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

TJ

Re: Chart is not updating, QM no data come in -- Root Cause

Postby TJ » 18 Jan 2016

Hi there,

I think I find the potential root cause of the problem.

I modified the "Description" field of the 3 symbols in the QM last night -- actually I modified the "Description" field of the other symbols also. I just made the description a little bit shorter, only. The other charts are updating as usual except the 3 symbols HHI.HK, HSI & K200.

When I change the "Description" field of the 3 symbols back to the original descriptions, re-connect symbol again, data come in immediately.

I don't want to do experiment to prove this is the root cause. However, I believe most people will think that this "Description" field shall be something "for reference" only. Is there a bug ?

Thank you for your attentions.
The description cannot be changed.
The description is from the exchange/broker. Along with the symbol, it is part of the instrument identifier.

FIY, some exchanges recycle their symbols. The only way to identify them is through the description.

eg. The symbol "ESH6" is used for e-mini S&P 500 March 2006, as well as the e-mini S&P 500 March 2016.

benho

Re: Chart is not updating, QM no data come in  [SOLVED]

Postby benho » 20 Jan 2016

Hi TJ,

Noted with thanks.

regards

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Jan 2016

Hello benho,

For IB instruments the description is critical. You need to have the currency code on the first place in the description for the instrument to function correctly.

Return to “MultiCharts”