How do I get more than 14 symbol link groups with version 9?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
trader39

How do I get more than 14 symbol link groups with version 9?

Postby trader39 » 02 Mar 2016

Up through at least version 8.8 of Multicharts, the symbol link groups would not extend across different instances of multicharts, so that essentially unlimited symbol link groups were available by reusing the same link color in different instances of MC. However, after just now upgrading to the latest 9.1 release, I find that the symbol link colors extend across MC instances, limiting the symbol link groups to the number of available colors (14), and then only if I rebuild my cloned workspaces.

How do I overcome this limitation? I need to use 30 or more symbol link groups, and I would very much like to upgrade to your current release.

Thanks so much.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: How do I get more than 14 symbol link groups with versio

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Mar 2016

Hello trader39,

Unfortunately there is no way to revert to the previous behavior at the moment. We are currently evaluating possible improvements for this functionality.

trader39

Re: How do I get more than 14 symbol link groups with versio

Postby trader39 » 12 Mar 2016

Thanks. Please let me know when a workaround becomes available.

trader39

Re: How do I get more than 14 symbol link groups with version 9?

Postby trader39 » 29 Oct 2018

I posted this last night as a new topic but just found the previous thread on this so I am re-posting.

It appears that the current version 12 of multicharts is still limited to 14 symbol link groups and if multiple instances of multicharts are used the symbol links still change across all the instances. (Project management feature request MC-1814.. which someone else submitted.. describes this limitation further). This is ironic because version of multicharts before about version 9 did not have this limitation. Is there a fix? If not what is the best workaround:
1) Multiple computers (clearly works but is unwieldy... 10 needed to track 140 symbols)
2) Windows virtual PC
3) Running old versions of Multicharts
Ideally I would like to run 100 symbols or more concurrently on the latest 30+ core PCs, in a networked autotrading configuration.
I use a multi-window multi-time-frame configuration for each symbol, linked by EL Collections. Also the symbol list changes constantly off a scanner, so it must be possible to make symbol changes constantly on the fly and without disrupting tick by tick data loading or analysis of other symbols which are already loaded.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 30 Oct 2018

Hello, trader39!

At the moment linking applies to all linked instruments within all MultiCharts instances.
We’re planning to improve the linking functionality in MultiCharts 13 so more options for linking are available.

As for the workaround – I’m afraid we cannot suggest you any or approve of any variant of yours as it is up to you to decide what setup to have.

trader39

Postby trader39 » 30 Oct 2018

When do you expect version 13 release?

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 01 Nov 2018

trader39,

we expect the first versions of MultiCharts 13 to appear during the first quarter of 2019.

trader39

Postby trader39 » 22 Feb 2019

Do you still expect version 13 with better linking functionality/ability to link more than 14 symbols on a PC to release this quarter?

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 25 Feb 2019

Hello, trader39!

Unfortunately the timeframes have moved a bit. Our developers are tailoring the new functionality so that it guarantees the best performance, but right now it seems that it will take more time than we expected back in November. The ETA for MultiCharts 13 is the first half of 2019 at the moment.

trader39

Postby trader39 » 26 Feb 2019

Thanks. Unrestricted symbol link groups is a feature worth waiting for, although its current absence makes PC selection more difficult.

Return to “MultiCharts”