Extra characters in GVs causing aborts maybe

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3
Posts: 2114
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Extra characters in GVs causing aborts maybe

Postby bowlesj3 » 24 Mar 2008

I am getting a lot of aborts in MC. I am thinking it may be related to extrac character's at the end of GV strings.

Here is why I am thinking this. I see this in MS-Access with GV strings. In MS-Access I can see it with the debugger. The extra characters are none string characters. In MS-access I use the left(string,1) command at times to ensure I only get the chartacters I want so my code works properly.

I am thinking that maybe these extra characters in MC's EL code are causing these aborts and am thinking I may need to try these EL commands to avoid the aborts. LeftStr( InStr( RightStr( StrLen(String)

I also have noticed that at times if MS-Access aborts that the GVs can go bad even if I restart MS-Access. This does not happen often but requires a reboot when it does. I tried this with this dump but it did not correct the problem. In other words with a clean reboot and no MS-Access abort, I could recreate this dump by doing 5 or 6 GV sends and recalculations to the 10 second bar studies I am using in MC.

Has anyone else noticed that MC aborts if GV strings are too long and subsequently solved the problem this way? Has anyone noticed aborts if recalculations were issued to their studies.

Thanks.
John.

arjfca
Posts: 1283
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Has thanked: 724 times
Been thanked: 222 times

Re: Extra characters in GVs causing aborts maybe

Postby arjfca » 06 Jul 2011

Hello John

This is an old post. Did you resolved this problem? Did read this post while looking for string function examples. I just started to work with them.
Martin

bowlesj3
Posts: 2114
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Extra characters in GVs causing aborts maybe

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Jul 2011

Hi Martin,

As far as MC bombing back at that time It was another problem. I think this may have been when I was on MC 3.1 and it had issues that have long since been resolved. MC almost never bombs on me now and if it has problems now I think I can safely say I need more memory and a faster machine.

The GV problem with bad characters in the string still occurs. I think the problem is in my database when it tries to access the string. I am not sure it has ever occurred in MC (I don't think so). I just use the left(strMystring,1) command to ensure I have the correct data. However I do not use the left command until the problem appears and I realize what it is. I suspect it only occurs when the string is a length of 1. The cause is unknown and whether it starts to occur after running for a while is also unknown. Maybe memory gets bad after a while for some reason. Maybe it is the GV2.0. It could be that I am really pushing memory on my machine too. However it has been there since the beginning so maybe not. Lots of theory but no answer.

John


Return to “MultiCharts”