Sticky over the x for closing down MC3.0

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Sticky over the x for closing down MC3.0

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Mar 2008

There must be a trick to closing down MC 3.0 because rather than abort as 2.1 did it just locks up (twice today). I remember this now from earlier in the day. It comes up with "not responding". Maybe I should close the workspaces first rather than clicking the X in the top right. This time I closed TWS first rather than clicking that X since it was the end of the trading day. With 2.1 it did not seem to matter which I closed first.

So I decided to try bringing it up offline. When I do this I get a message "Close all Chart and QuoteManager windows and try to set Data server mode again".

So I then I, reboot and try again to bring MC up offline to see if the data is there from today's trading. It lost the days trading data and brought up the data up to exactly 9:06 pm when I was on last night first trying 3.0.

I guess tomorrow it will download the missing data. If this keeps up I will have to print my trade calls before I take it down each night. Maybe I need to close the workspaces 1 by 1 before I bring it down.

John.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 26 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 25 Mar 2008

I think "file" "exit", is the proper way to shut down. I've never had any problems doing it that way. I don't close the charts either, that way they come up automatically the next time I open MC.

TJ

Re: Maybe there is a trick to closing down MC3.0

Postby TJ » 25 Mar 2008

There must be a trick to closing down MC 3.0 because rather than abort as 2.1 did it just locks up (twice today). I remember this now from earlier in the day. It comes up with "not responding". Maybe I should close the workspaces first rather than clicking the X in the top right. This time I closed TWS first rather than clicking that X since it was the end of the trading day. With 2.1 it did not seem to matter which I closed first.

So I decided to try bringing it up offline. When I do this I get a message "Close all Chart and QuoteManager windows and try to set Data server mode again".

So I then I, reboot and try again to bring MC up offline to see if the data is there from today's trading. It lost the days trading data and brought up the data up to exactly 9:06 pm when I was on last night first trying 3.0.

I guess tomorrow it will download the missing data. If this keeps up I will have to print my trade calls before I take it down each night. Maybe I need to close the workspaces 1 by 1 before I bring it down.

John.
I had this happen to me numerous times. It is very inconvenient.

bowlesj3

Yes, I will try the exit.

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Mar 2008

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I would try the exit before closing down the charts. I guess its a habit using the X because so far every program I have ever had is capable of closing down with the X instead of the file exit sequence and they all ask if you want to save screens or files or whatever. The X shortcut is a good feature for MC.

bowlesj3

Changing the X click habit.

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Mar 2008

I just did a test and you are correct. MC 3.0 closes properly with the File exit but fails with the X Click. So I just put a small sticky post it note over that X since I use it out of habit. TS-Support may want to fix this bug or remove the X for a while after reading this.

I think that all my programs I have ever had on my computer can close down properly by clicking the X in the top right. It is very fast since you can close down many programs quickly without moving your mouse pointer and if done properly the program will notify you if you need to save a file or any form of updates that need saving. I think the X click is a Microsoft Standard that most have fully embraced as a great idea (without giving it much thought actually).

Since the X click close down is probably a well established habit with many of your users they are likely to without thinking (in auto pilot at the end of the day) as I do, start closing down programs with the X click and run into this bug. So since new habits (fixing bad habits) can take a few weeks to change and a good habit may never change the sticky over the X may be a good idea (or removing of the X, or fixing the bug).

Return to “MultiCharts”