Moving Database For New Installation

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bensat

Moving Database For New Installation

Postby bensat » 03 May 2016

Version : MultiCharts64 Version 9.0 Release (Build 11210)

One wee ago I moved one of my testing environments/setups for MC from a virtual machine to a native machine. As MC still has no backup/restore function I had to copy all the workspaces, databases, Templates etc ... When I re-started MC on Monday last week, just to record all the data for the symbols set-up in the database I experienced a very annoying, and again, disappointing issue.

On the previous setup in a VM the database was set-up to record data for <TRADE> tick, minute, day (only !!!!). The database was like 1.5GB in size with all the tick data for 2000+ symbols from 2000 till now. I copied the database to the native machine and connected it with the feed. Everything went fine over the week. Some settings had to be set new, but I get used to this annoying & unsophisticated issue/behaviour in/with MC. Doing the backup maintenance over the weekend I realized, the database grew up 1.8Gb just in a week.

Checking all the settings I realized, the database setting to record only <TRADE> data wasn't respected after I copied the database from the VM to the native machine. Over a quiet day like yesterday, the database recorded for the <Euro Bund Future Jun16 (CQG)> over 1mln quotes alone! All recorded. Deleting the ASK/BID data on online and offline mode takes ages or causes the database to crash. Exporting all these data makes no sense, as they will be exported in <TICK> <MIN> <DAILY> only without separation of <TRADE> <BID> & <ASK>. So they would have to be deleted manually in any way.

I'm already not satisfied about "a" backup/restore solution, but this kept me a day/weekend busy just to get the database right. Just taking the old data and backfilling the data for one week leaves the up-/dnvol data etc blank on CQG.

My Regards

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Moving Database For New Installation

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 May 2016

Hello Ben,

The settings for the "Collect RT data w/o plotting" and "Fields to collect" options are stored in the DataCollectSettings.xml file which is stored in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\TS Support\MultiCharts64

bensat

Postby bensat » 03 May 2016

Henry,

I could not find anything about <DataCollectSettings.xml> in the Multicharts Wiki regarding a database move. So the issue is there and I have a lot of extra work just because of how normal maintenance issues regarding the database are badly designed.

Just for EPM16 <TICK ASK> I'm waiting now about 15min just to <Select All> data to be able to delete them. EPM16 has about 5Mln quotes just on the <ASK> side in 5 trading days. A day and it's still not enough.

Huge waste of time. If you have a clean solution without back filling data to get rid of these Bid/Ask-quotes you are invited to share your knowledge. Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 May 2016

Hello Ben,

You need to highlight the required instruments in the QuoteManager, right click on any of them, select Delete Data, select the required Quote Field and Resolution, click OK. This will remove the data for the specified quote field/resolution for the selected instruments.

bensat

Postby bensat » 04 May 2016

Henry ... thank you very much. I really appreciate this solution.

Have a nice afternoon.

Regards.

Ben

bensat

Postby bensat » 18 Jun 2016

I had to set the status of this thread to unresolved again. After I deleted all the data as Henry from TSSupport requested, the data were gone and the settings were set not to add/save any tick data for any Forex symbols, provided and saved via DDE from MT4.

Last Wednesday I noticed my database was growing again big time for like 150-200MB per day. When I closed the Quotemanager I saw status messages in the progress saying <Tick Data for Symbol .... are saved>. What ? I checked the setting for <Collecting Data> and all tick data were/are unchecked. Further I checked the data stored in the database and had to realize, that tick data are back after the date I deleted them.

Settings which data to save for these symbols

Data saved in the symbols

I would like to see an advice how not to store tick data and to make sure to not store tick data.

Thank you.

Regards

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Jun 2016

Hello Ben,

Realtime Tick data is always saved to the database. It has nothing to do with the option "Collect RT data w/o plotting". There is no option to not save the realtime data to the database. Please study the following information to get a better understanding how it works:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... s_Database
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... Collection

bensat

Postby bensat » 27 Jun 2016

Henry,

thank you for providing the information. After studying the information in your provided links I have two questions :

1. Why data get real-time tick data get saved when I do not want them to be saved and the local database becoming 'bloated' unnecessarily w/all consequences.

2. I never have a DDE tick chart open and therefore do not need to collect the data w/o charting. Therefore I unmarked Tick-data for 'Bid, Ask,Trade'. As you can see with the high amount of collected data for the symbols, the data get get collected no matter I mark them or not. Further why do I need a 'collect RT data w/o charting' option, if real-time data get are always being saved.

I could not find more and better explanations in your links to find an answer to my questions.

Thank you.

Regards

Ben

Return to “MultiCharts”