Hedging one instrument with another??? Portfolio Trader???

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
monick

Hedging one instrument with another??? Portfolio Trader???

Postby monick » 04 May 2016

Hi,
I think what I would like to do should be possible, but having a lot of trouble getting started.

Example: Trading 5 different charts with gold (symbol GCM6). So five different separate strategies with multiple data feeds, etc, that all trade in and out of Gold (so Gold is Data1 on all of these)

Now let's say I want to hedge any trade done in Gold (regardless of where the trade comes from) with a silver future. So to be specific, any time a trade in gold is done, I would like a strategy to trade 1 silver future in the other direction. So at any given moment, I will have a position such as

Long 3 Gold
Short 3 Silver

or Short 5 Gold
Long 5 Silver

That's all I want to do. So I am thinking that there is this signal (From brokertostrategy MP synchronizer) that will be a useful way to group all the positions in Gold together.

But then I am stuck. Do I have to use Portfolio Trader. Would this be the only way to get the position in gold into a strategy with silver? Is there no way to just have a silver graph running and call up the position in Gold?

Really looking to do this as quickly and simply as possible and stuck as to the direction to take.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
monick

TJ

Re: Hedging one instrument with another??? Portfolio Trader?

Postby TJ » 04 May 2016

Hi,
I think what I would like to do should be possible, but having a lot of trouble getting started.

Example: Trading 5 different charts with gold (symbol GCM6). So five different separate strategies with multiple data feeds, etc, that all trade in and out of Gold (so Gold is Data1 on all of these)

Now let's say I want to hedge any trade done in Gold (regardless of where the trade comes from) with a silver future. So to be specific, any time a trade in gold is done, I would like a strategy to trade 1 silver future in the other direction. So at any given moment, I will have a position such as

Long 3 Gold
Short 3 Silver

or Short 5 Gold
Long 5 Silver

That's all I want to do. So I am thinking that there is this signal (From brokertostrategy MP synchronizer) that will be a useful way to group all the positions in Gold together.

But then I am stuck. Do I have to use Portfolio Trader. Would this be the only way to get the position in gold into a strategy with silver? Is there no way to just have a silver graph running and call up the position in Gold?

Really looking to do this as quickly and simply as possible and stuck as to the direction to take.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
monick
See post #18
[FAQ] Multi-Data Analysis
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10811

monick

Re: Hedging one instrument with another??? Portfolio Trader?

Postby monick » 10 May 2016

Hmmm, Did you mean Post 19??? Post 18 doesn't seem relevant and Post 19 just gives the user manual for Portfolio Trader. Is this what you meant to provide????

Return to “MultiCharts”