USD/CNH currency conversion

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
khodor

USD/CNH currency conversion

Postby khodor » 25 May 2016

My strategy uses money management built in. Here is an error message I received when trying to use USD/CNH. Other currency pairs work fine.

Could you explain in more detail what is missing at MultiCharts?
Khodor
Attachments
usdcnh base currency none.PNG
(7.6 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: USD/CNH currency conversion

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 May 2016

Hello Khodor,

CNH currency is not supported by our Currency Conversion server, therefore currency pairs based on this currency cannot be converted into a different currency.

khodor

Postby khodor » 25 May 2016

Does this mean:
  • 1. I cannot trade it?
    2. Do I have to modify my code to deal with this issue? How?
    3. Are there backtesting issues? Especially with money management built into the code.
    4. Are there live trading issues?
    5. ...
A bit more explanation is in order. I have no understanding of the MultiCharts' "Currency Conversion server" terminology or what this implies. Is there some documentation available that explains more details?

khodor

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 26 May 2016

I have no understanding of the MultiCharts' "Currency Conversion server" terminology or what this implies. Is there some documentation available that explains more details?
There's some information about the currency conversion feature here: currency conversion wiki.

You can still trade the instrument if you set the base currency to 'none' (see the wiki page for where this setting can be changed). The only trading and backtesting issues that I see is when your account isn't in CHN; then you'd have to perform the currency conversion yourself (and calculate all of the strategy's performance metric in the signal's code).

That latter does require an additional data series with USD/CHN price data to calculate with, so you'll need to import that data manually into the QuoteManager.

Return to “MultiCharts”