Must close MC3.0 before TWS stops feed.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Must close MC3.0 before TWS stops feed.

Postby bowlesj3 » 02 Apr 2008

I think it is pretty much confirmed now. I have to close MC 3.0 (even with the File Exit) before the TWS feed stops for its daily maintenance. If I do not MC 3.0 locks up. This is not that big a deal actually except on Friday it creates a bit of a problem in that transferring the 3 files to the note book for offsite review of the charts no longer works with MC 3.0. The reason is I can get the data onto the notebook Monday to Tuesday after regular trading hours by running TWS on that machine and doing the backfill. However On Friday TWS does not come back up until Sunday at 6pm. So I have to close down MC (and TWS) a bit Early on Friday on the production machine in time to do that backfilling on the Notebook.

aljafp

Re: Must close MC3.0 before TWS stops feed.

Postby aljafp » 02 Apr 2008

I think it is pretty much confirmed now. I have to close MC 3.0 (even with the File Exit) before the TWS feed stops for its daily maintenance. If I do not MC 3.0 locks up. This is not that big a deal actually except on Friday it creates a bit of a problem in that transferring the 3 files to the note book for offsite review of the charts no longer works with MC 3.0. The reason is I can get the data onto the notebook Monday to Tuesday after regular trading hours by running TWS on that machine and doing the backfill. However On Friday TWS does not come back up until Sunday at 6pm. So I have to close down MC (and TWS) a bit Early on Friday on the production machine in time to do that backfilling on the Notebook.
This is not just an issue on MC 3.

It also happens on 2.1.999.999, My experience is if TWS goes into maintenance whilst MC is connected....alll subsequent connections will fail.
You will need to restart both MC and also TWS.

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Apr 2008

I noticed that if TWS gets disconnected (could be due to faulty internet line, or IB server reset), some of my charts will lock up.

When the data resumes, the charts will remain locked up. They do not know how to restart.

bowlesj3

Re: Must close MC3.0 before TWS stops feed.

Postby bowlesj3 » 03 Apr 2008

This is not just an issue on MC 3.

It also happens on 2.1.999.999, My experience is if TWS goes into maintenance whilst MC is connected....alll subsequent connections will fail.
You will need to restart both MC and also TWS.
I actually never had this happen with 2.1.999.999. Or at least with 2.1.999.999 if I just left it alone at 16:15 and came back lets say at 17:00 it will be working as normal. I also often shut down MC 2.1.999.999 after TWS was stopped and never lost the data. Did it all the time.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Apr 2008

Hi John,

Could you tell me what time exactly MultiCharts locks up?

bowlesj3

Locks up upon closing.

Postby bowlesj3 » 08 Apr 2008

Hi Marina,

It is a hard call on the lockup after the TWS feed stops because the prices on MC will obviously stop moving. So what happens is if I attemped to close MC3.0 down after the TWS feed stops I will see the charts kind of disappear (much of that chart araa goes white) but MC does not close down. It will just sit there stuck. So after a short while I realize that something is likely wrong so I go into the task manager and see that it is in that "Program is not responding" state. One day I actually left for super after the trading day and came back and it was still in that not responding state. So I have to force it down with the task manager. When this happens it does not save the data appearing on the chart to the database. The only data in that database will be data that successfully got out by a proper close down. This problem does not happen with MC2.1.999.999. MC2.1.999.999 just gave that exception popup and all I had to do was click the "terminate program" hyperlink and MC closed down fine (always keeping the data). The only exception to keeping the data with MC2.1 was the daily bars data and that is most likely because it had not been consolidated yet by the IB computer operations department. I had mentioned that in prior emails about the daily bars. I figure that MC2.1 was keeping the daily bars correct all day by using the same data as is used for the 1 minute bars. Then when closed down the current days daily bar vanishes but it reappears the next day. I figure that its reapearance was as a result of getting the consolidated daily bar data from the IB download. I never checked any of this with MC3.0.

Return to “MultiCharts”