Order and Position Tracker data accessible within MC?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PD Quig

Order and Position Tracker data accessible within MC?

Postby PD Quig » 21 Jul 2016

Is the data from Order and Position Tracker accessible within MC?

For the purpose of automating my trading performance tracking log, I would like to access OPT's data and automatically produce the basic parts of my log. For five years I've been downloading my daily brokerage records into Excel and reconfiguring them into a more readable form. Then I add my trade grades and assessment.

I'm really tired of this brute force method and would like to streamline the process by reading the data within MC, reconditioning it, and then outputting it to a file that I could then add notes and additional information.

I thought about learning VisualBasic to process the brokerage data into the form I'm looking for, but don't really want to make that investment.

How are other people doing their trading logs?

Suggestions?
Attachments
2016-07-21_1025.png
sample of raw data downloaded from broker
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 537 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Order and Position Tracker data accessible within MC?

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Jul 2016

Hello PD Quig,

The Order and Position Tracker data can be accessed only in MultiCharts .NET.
There is no access to this type of data in the PowerLanguage version.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 22 Jul 2016

For the purpose of automating my trading performance tracking log, I would like to access OPT's data and automatically produce the basic parts of my log. For five years I've been downloading my daily brokerage records into Excel and reconfiguring them into a more readable form. Then I add my trade grades and assessment.

I'm really tired of this brute force method and would like to streamline the process by reading the data within MC, reconditioning it, and then outputting it to a file that I could then add notes and additional information.
If you want, you can export practically any trade data with PowerLanguage provided that there's a signal running on the chart that you're trading so that it can collect the information.

Some information isn't available (like the broker's order number from your example), though, so if you're very keen on having all the data that the broker has, then it isn't possible.

But on the flip side, other things that you don't use now do become possible with this approach. For instance, you can place a text box on the chart with your trade comments/reflection in it, and have the PowerLanguage script read that text box and save it in the file alongside the trade data.
How are other people doing their trading logs?
I used to have a signal collect and export data automatically to a .txt file, which I then loaded into a 3rd party application for the strategy performance analysis and money management simulation. This worked for me.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 22 Jul 2016

Thanks Josh. Although 80% of my trades are executed via signals, the other 20% still need to be captured. You've got some other good ideas to ponder.

The quest continues...

Return to “MultiCharts”