Currency convertion server(s) ?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
vindiou

Currency convertion server(s) ?

Postby vindiou » 09 Oct 2016

Hi!

There isn't much detail on your "Currency Convertion Server", how does it work?
Why is there so much difference between rates? : In the strategy perf report, a 249JPY trade (no bid/ask) is converted into $2.22! (Today, 249 JPY = $2.4189).
Where does it takes its convertion rate from?
When does it update its rates?
How can I verify that the current convertion rate used in my strategy is exact and that it isn't an old one?
How can I verify that your "Currency Convertion Server" is up and running correctly?

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Currency convertion server(s) ?  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Oct 2016

Hello vindiou,

MultiCharts uses previous day closing price (Bid) for currency conversion. There is no realtime currency conversion using current values. We use our servers with MultiCharts Forex Data Feed (FXCM data stored on our servers) to request data in the background and perform necessary calculations. The data is loaded when a signal is calculated. Updated data is loaded when required, the application checks it automatically. Regular currency conversion server maintenance is usually done on Saturday when the market is closed around 1pm-4pm EST. If MultiCharts cannot access currency conversion server - there will be a red popup error on your screen. You can output the currency conversion rate using the "convert_currency" - see example in the PLEditor help. You can clear the locally stored currency conversion server data by going into QuoteManager-> Edit-> Clear currency conversion data.

Please find the starting dates for the currency conversion instruments below:
[+] Click here to see the image

JoshM

Re: Currency convertion server(s) ?

Postby JoshM » 10 Oct 2016

MultiCharts uses previous day closing price (Bid) for currency conversion. There is no realtime currency conversion using current values.
I thought that, when trading in real time, real-time rates are used. And when backtesting, historical rates are used.

Such a thing is also mentioned on the wiki:
When automated trading in the Portfolio is run by selecting Run Automate Order Execution, the currency conversion will be executed in real-time using current rates within each executed trade. When a strategy is backtested or optimized using historical data, the corresponding historical rates will be used for conversion (..).
At least, that's my understanding/interpretation. Like to hear your thoughts on this, perhaps this was recently optimised with MultiCharts 10.0 Beta.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Oct 2016

Dear users,

Strategy values are converted using historical data in all cases (backtesting, optimization, forward testing, realtime trading).
Realtime data is used for Order and Position tracker values conversion only (if preferred currency is selected in MultiCharts->File->Preferences->Trading).
The corresponding wiki page has been updated.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 05 Sep 2019

Hello vindiou,

MultiCharts uses previous day closing price (Bid) for currency conversion. There is no realtime currency conversion using current values. We use our servers with MultiCharts Forex Data Feed (FXCM data stored on our servers) to request data in the background and perform necessary calculations. The data is loaded when a signal is calculated. Updated data is loaded when required, the application checks it automatically. Regular currency conversion server maintenance is usually done on Saturday when the market is closed around 1pm-4pm EST. If MultiCharts cannot access currency conversion server - there will be a red popup error on your screen. You can output the currency conversion rate using the "convert_currency" - see example in the PLEditor help. You can clear the locally stored currency conversion server data by going into QuoteManager-> Edit-> Clear currency conversion data.

Please find the starting dates for the currency conversion instruments below:
[+] Click here to see the image
What time everyday (gmt) does do these FX rates get updated?

Am I correct in saying signals that need an updated FX rate everyday will have to run the "recalculate" command to access the updates?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Nov 2019

What time everyday (gmt) does do these FX rates get updated?
4 PM (EST), 9 PM (GMT).
Am I correct in saying signals that need an updated FX rate everyday will have to run the "recalculate" command to access the updates?
The updated quotes can be received after they are available on the server and the signal is calculated.

Return to “MultiCharts”