making DOM orders independant

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
rbn60604@yahoo.com

making DOM orders independant

Postby rbn60604@yahoo.com » 27 Jan 2017

Hello,

I've inquired about this in the past but haven't been able to solve. When a user has an open (manual) bracket order in the the DOM...lets say short 10 at 2256, with a $3 pt Stop and a $6 pt Target.......if additional contracts are traded.....the DOM auto resets the Stop for the new size, and gives the new average price.

How can that function be turned off so the original or isn't modified and the two orders are treated independently?

i.e. While Short 10 from 2260 with a bracket Stop 2263, Target 2256, A new (additional) bracket order Short gets triggered at 2262, with it's own independent bracket Stop at 2265, Target 2256.

So, the DOM would treat each independently, when the second order is filled, MC doesn't adjust the Stop to the new average price and size.....it allows the first Stop at 2263 to be filled, leaving the second order in place with its own 2265 Stop and Target.

Is there a way to set preferences so the DOM allows this?

Thanks

Angelina MultiСharts

Re: making DOM orders independant

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 31 Jan 2017

Hello rbn60604@yahoo.com,

Here is how it can be done:
1. In File => Preferences => Trading select Exit Strategies Mode: First to Position, then to Orders.
2. Enable "Auto Attach as Exit Strategy" in DOM
With these settings two orders will be treated independently.

However, average entry price will not be affected, as it is provided by the broker.

rbn60604@yahoo.com

Postby rbn60604@yahoo.com » 31 Jan 2017

Thanks for your help, I'll switch the settings.

rbn60604@yahoo.com

Postby rbn60604@yahoo.com » 27 Apr 2017

After changing the settings and trying everything I could think of, unfortunately this answer did not fix the issue.

If a user has an EXISTING position via an open Bracket Order and chooses to add more contracts.....the MC DOM will not treat them as separate orders and instead, the existing stop and targets are auto adjusted.

How can a user opt for this to be shut off?

If I have a position with a bracket, and I add additional contracts, there needs to be functionality that leaves the initial order untouched and each order should operate independent of each other

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 27 Apr 2017

Sir,

Have you restarted the platform after making the changes in Preferences?

rbn60604@yahoo.com

Postby rbn60604@yahoo.com » 27 Apr 2017

Yes, many times....I appreciate your help but I'm pretty amazed this issue has never been addressed.

'First to Orders, then to Position' is set in Preferences. I've tried Brackets and Master Strategy.

Does this function exist in MC? ie. allowing independent orders to exist and not affect the initial stops & targets? Have you or anyone else tested this? If your testing does not replicate this....then obviously I have the wrong settings, but not sure what else to change.

It's very dangerous for this to be the default IMO....Some people scale in/scale out...I personally don't, so it renders the Bracket order function unusable in the case of adding contracts to existing positions.

I'd prefer not to switch platforms, so let me know if you can find the issue.

Thanks

rbn60604@yahoo.com

Postby rbn60604@yahoo.com » 04 May 2017

Can you please let me know if anyone is planning on addressing this issue/bug?

Not being able to submit independent orders is a problem and doesn't exist on other systems.....the user should be given a preference option to select that their orders are unaltered and independent of each other or as the default is today, which I assume is for people who scale in/out.

It's really important.....at least to me.

Thanks

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 08 May 2017

Usually, it is the matter of Manual Exit strategy mode selected in File -> Preferences -> Trading Tab -> Exit Strategies Mode.

All to Positions mode:
Whenever an exit strategy is used (whether it is an auto-attached exit strategy or it was manually dragged and dropped it onto an open position on the chart), the number of contracts of the exit strategy always depends on number of contracts of current open position and the exit strategy can be cancelled or vice versa, not placed at all, if an open position is closed or there is possibility of overfill (it can be cancelled manually).

All to Orders mode: Whenever an exit strategy is used (whether it is an auto-attached exit strategy or it was manually dragged and dropped it onto an open position on the chart), the number of contracts of the exit strategy is always fixed and the exit strategy is not cancelled under any conditions, it can be only filled (it can be cancelled manually).

You can also select to calculate average open position price “based on orders execution price” in File -> Preferences -> Trading Tab -> Exit Strategies Average Open Position Price.

If Exit Strategies do not work as described, please come to our Live Chat so we could address this behavior via Remote connection.

BUT when you apply an exit strategy to already existing position, it will always be an order to position (with a letter P), so it can change when AVG entry price changes. This behavior is by design.
If you want and additional functionality: applied Exit Strategy to already existing position in All to Orders mode behaves as though there was an order that just opened the position (I hope it makes sense) - please leave a feature request.

Already existing position can be protected with Auto Trading.
1. Signal gets actual position from broker (Strategy Properties - Auto Trading - Use actual position at the broker), and sends an Exit strategy, and doesn't send any orders if MarketPosition_at_Broker_for_The_Strategy is Flat
if PosTradeCount (1) = 1 then
#return;

2. After enabling AT turn on "Auto Attach" for manual exit-strategies (All to orders).

Return to “MultiCharts”