PL Editor: "Fast Execution" vs. "Fast Compilation"

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
escamillo

PL Editor: "Fast Execution" vs. "Fast Compilation"

Postby escamillo » 14 Mar 2017

Recently a being edited study (somewhat long and complicated because of conversion of decimals to fractions as text) would not compile so I went to live support. Angelina had me switch Power Language Editor from "Fast Execution" to "Fast Compilation" and the study compiled.

It made me wonder - is something being 'given up' by using "Fast Execution"? In particular, when "Fast Execution" is used, does the calculation of that study in actual use during market hours on a new tick take longer to calculate?

By way of comparison, I am thinking of for example 'For Loop' vs. 'List' calculation: a For Loop will compile more quickly than a list, however it is my understanding (from observation and confirmed some time ago by TS rep) that in practice, a For Loop will take slightly longer to calculate on a new tick than it takes for a List to bring a result on a new tick. Is something similar happening - it takes longer to calculate MC calculations because of use of PLE Fast Compilation vs. Fast Execution?

If not, then why are there two options Fast Execution and Fast Compilation in PLE?

Angelina MultiСharts

Re: PL Editor: "Fast Execution" vs. "Fast Compilation"

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 17 Mar 2017

Hello escamillo,

With the first option the compiler is optimized for the faster execution of your script. But compiling it would take longer and requires more PC resources.
But sometimes the only way to compile a complicated script (with more than several thousands lines or ones with complex "if" constructions) would be to enable "Fast Compilation". However, it would affect the script execution speed.

escamillo

Re: PL Editor: "Fast Execution" vs. "Fast Compilation"

Postby escamillo » 20 Mar 2017

Is there a benchmark that you have done that will tell us what we loose in execution speed during live markets by using 'Fast Compilation'?
It is an important issue. Some of us have spend considerable time and effort to create as little CPU use as possible during live trading.

Return to “MultiCharts”