TWS stopped working: IB-Multicharts issue

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Trader M

TWS stopped working: IB-Multicharts issue

Postby Trader M » 29 Jun 2017

Hi all,

I use Multicharts Portfolio trader (version 10.0.13625.400) and Interactive Brokers TWS (Build 966.1a) in order to run automated strategies while I'm at work.
Using TeamViewer I occasionally check the situation on my home PC.
Typically the strategies trigger between 2 and 8 trades per day.

My problem is a technical one.
Often TWS stops working and therefore the connection to Multicharts is lost. Until I identify the problem and can restart IB TWS it sometimes takes hours. I don't need to tell you what that means.
That happens particularly frequent when one or more orders are sent through the interface and/or filled at IB.

The only error message when TWS stops working is a popup which says (directly translated from German): "Trader Workstation not running anymore. The Programm is not running correctly anymore due to a problem. The Programm will be closed, you'll be notified once there is a solution."

I'm aware that this is a not directly a Multicharts problem but an IB problem. However it seems to be related to the interface since, without having MC connected, that issue never happend. I created a ticket to IB Support which did help much.
Therefore I'd like to ask if anyone experienced the same issue in the past and knows how to solve it. It's annoying and expensive. Perhaps you have some hints?

By the way, it occurs on Win 7 and Win 10.

Thanks!
Trader M

Zheka

Re: TWS stopped working: IB-Multicharts issue

Postby Zheka » 30 Jun 2017

Try connecting via IB Gateway instead of a bulky TWS.
Added benefit is IBG does not try to log off once a day and can run for months.

Return to “MultiCharts”