Computer Hardware - CPU Selection

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Spaceant

Computer Hardware - CPU Selection

Postby Spaceant » 16 Jul 2017

Any comment on Intel I7 7700 vs AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700?

I used to use Intel cpu. Would any of the AMD be a better choice or should I continue to use Intel?

TJ

Re: Computer Hardware - CPU Selection

Postby TJ » 16 Jul 2017

Always use Intel.

I would not bother with AMD.

YMMV

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 18 Jul 2017

Agreed!

Gaempi

Postby Gaempi » 19 Jul 2017

Agreed? ... Why INTEL CPUs? Why not a Workstation with 2 x AMD Epyc CPUs with 64 processors (2x32) and 128 threads?

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 19 Jul 2017

There's a thread on it somewhere regarding optimisation speeds and benchmarks. Multicharts/windows OS's aren't 100% scaleable and performance returns diminish with threads. I think there's also a cap on Ram in Windows OSs. Point being, splashing out on a massive multi-processor is gonna be annoying when you still can only run only a limited number of portfolio walk forward optimisations at a time. I'm not an IT expert, apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence.

I've played about with various dedicated servers. By far the best bang for my buck has been Intel i7s. High clock speed, hyperthreading. I personally use an army of Haswell i7-4770's to run my optimisations.

To reiterate, not an IT expert in any way. Just from trial and error testing optimisation speeds and looking for bargains i7-4770 is what came out as pretty decent.

AMD processors have consistently let me down with overheating issues. But that might've changed!

As a sidenote: If using a Server OS always remember to go for max power settings ("performance"??) and sysdm.cpl and prioritise application over background processes, otherwise your processor performance will be throttled!

Return to “MultiCharts”