Always having RSI/%R value show in right scale (2 workaround solutions exist)

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 24 Sep 2017

Update: See the last paragraph of post 9 for the two workaround solutions.

Hi, I use the RSI. I have not been able to figure out how to force the RSI plot right scale marker to be in front of the overbought oversold markers such that when they overlap I can see the RSI plot marker. It seems as if the order of placement is random. Is there a way to force it.

Thanks,
John
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 26 Sep 2017, edited 3 times in total.

TJ

Re: Putting RSI plot ahead of over bought/sold in right scale

Postby TJ » 25 Sep 2017

The plots are layered according to the plot number.

Plot1 is at the lowest bottom, and plot2 is above it, and so on.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 25 Sep 2017

What I do with indicators, is simply turn off the overbought and oversold text values (leave the plot lines for hi and lo ref), since they are a constant. Only the current RSI value is shown, so no overlay problem.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Sep 2017

I tried your idea TJ. It makes sense but sadly it didn't work as the attached pictures show.

I also used your idea SPtrader. The only thing I don't like about it is I also use the %R and it has different values for overbought and oversold. My mind might get confused :-) Besides I think it is an issue that is worth discovering a good solid works every time answer for.
Attachments
15MinBars.png
(97.76 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
30MinBars.png
(86.3 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 26 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Sep 2017

In your code,
do you have plot1 and plot2 first, then plot3?

This is a procedural language,
the codes are executed line-by-line, from top to bottom.

bowlesj3

In your code,
do you have plot1 and plot2 first, then plot3?

This is a procedural language,
the codes are executed line-by-line, from top to bottom.

These are what I have tried.

Code: Select all

Plot1(MyRSI, "RSI" ) ;
Plot2(70, "OverBot" ) ;
Plot3(30, "OverSld" ) ;

Plot2(70, "OverBot" ) ;
Plot3(30, "OverSld" ) ;
Plot1(MyRSI, "RSI" ) ;
I deleted and added this one in on both the 15 minute and 30 minute bars.

Plot1(70, "OverBot" ) ;
Plot2(30, "OverSld" ) ;
Plot3(MyRSI, "RSI" ) ;
I also tried switching them on and off in different orders.

So the default (which is the first one) makes the most sense and it is also the same in the %R. Also when it comes right down to it the default should work (although somewhat trivial it is an issue that should not be an issue).
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 26 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

I tried commenting out the overbought and oversold plots and compiling then putting them back and compiling and that failed.

This does not work (delaying the starting of plot2 and plot3).

CntBars = CntBars + 1;
Plot1(MyRSI, "RSI" ) ;
if CntBars > 5 then
begin
Plot2(70, "OverBot" ) ;
Plot3(30, "OverSld" ) ;
end;
This worked but does not explain it. Since it is working on the 30 minute bars I made a copy of that chart and change it to 15 minute bars. I then deleted the original 15 minute bar chart. So I guess I could do this will all the charts.

What is very interesting is I created a new chart and put the two studies on it both with the indicator as plot1 which matches the default. I set the symbol to match the other charts. I then changed the resolution of this new chart to match the other resolutions within this workspace one by one and the behavior matched exactly the original chart of that same resolution (sometimes working and sometimes failing). So the behavior is tied in with the resolution some how and not even the chart window.

darob

Postby darob » 25 Sep 2017

In MC.Net deselecting the precise marker setting in the y-scale window preference pane keeps markers visible. Does standard MC have this option?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Sep 2017

In MC.Net deselecting the precise marker setting in the y-scale window preference pane keeps markers visible. Does standard MC have this option?
Yes the regular MC has this and yes unchecking it causes the marker for the overbought and oversold to move out of the way when the RSI or %R markers come down and slip behind them. So that would suggest that maybe someone complained before and maybe they came up with this as a compromise solution because it is too much programming effort for them to get all the charts to work properly (as my 30 minute bar chart seems to do). So for me maybe I am lucky enough to have at least one chart that works properly

I just tested copying my 30 minute chart again and switching it to the 5 minute resolution where the issue is occurring. This time it does not work (the RSI marker is still behind the overbought/oversold markers).

I discovered on one chart (the weekly bars) and one indicator (the %R) if I drag the scale in certain drag locations it fixes the problem and in others it deverts back. This does not work in the other charts. This suggests that maybe it isn't that easy to fix :-)

So I guess SPtrader's solution (don't show the overbought/oversold markers) or Darob's solution (uncheck the Format Window, Y-PriceScale, Precision Maker check box) are the only two workaround solutions we have. However for my 30 minute bars (where IMHO things work as they should) it is better to not use either one since Darob's solution causes the correct marker (the RSI and %R marker) to move out of the way rather than the overbought/oversold markers moving out of the way. Maybe a checkbox for plot1 to always show would be preferred by some. Anyway, I changed this thread's subject to "Always having RSI/%R value show in right scale (2 workaround solutions exist)" and placed a pointer in the first post to this 9th post paragraph.

bowlesj3

Re: Always having RSI/%R value show in right scale (2 workaround solutions exist)

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Sep 2017

I just noticed that my 30 chart only has the RSI/%R marker out front for some stock symbols. So I guess I have to use Darob's 2nd work around on all six charts after all. If others want plot1 to always be out front I will create a PM request for it. Otherwise I won't bother since I can live with the workaround. I am not going to mark this solved however.

Return to “MultiCharts”