Please VOTE: Read from File

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Gaetano

Please VOTE: Read from File

Postby Gaetano » 06 Oct 2017

Dear all,
PowerLanguage Editor has the PRINT keyword to write on a file, but... an instruction to read from a file is missing.

Our current possibilities to exchange data among Multicharts applications are:
- use the Global Variables (but they have a limit of 10,000 locations)
- use an external .dll from EL Collections or elsewhere

To implement a keyword in PL Editor to read from a file would help so much our work :idea:

Thank you for voting here:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/public/m ... es/MC-2341

JoshM

Re: Please VOTE: Read from File

Postby JoshM » 07 Oct 2017

Interesting idea. Interesting enough to respond. But I do have a few curious questions if you don't mind.

Can you expand on what you mean with this in the PM request?

Code: Select all

GET ([OutputTarget],Expression1,Expression2,etc.)
How would MultiCharts know that there are multiple expressions in the (presumably .txt) file? And should the `Get()` keyword then return an array? Or how do you want to use this keyword?

Also, in the PM request you mention:
external .dll - EL Collections (but data cannot be exchanged among multiple Portfolio Trader sessions)
Does that mean that the proposed `Get()` keyword should also send data to multiple Portfolio Trader sessions? How would that look like?

Gaetano

Re: Please VOTE: Read from File

Postby Gaetano » 07 Oct 2017

Interesting idea. Interesting enough to respond. But I do have a few curious questions if you don't mind.

Can you expand on what you mean with this in the PM request?

Code: Select all

GET ([OutputTarget],Expression1,Expression2,etc.)
How would MultiCharts know that there are multiple expressions in the (presumably .txt) file? And should the `Get()` keyword then return an array? Or how do you want to use this keyword?

Also, in the PM request you mention:
external .dll - EL Collections (but data cannot be exchanged among multiple Portfolio Trader sessions)
Does that mean that the proposed `Get()` keyword should also send data to multiple Portfolio Trader sessions? How would that look like?
Hi Josh,
Thank you for your interest on this topic.
The proposed GET keyword is just an idea. I'm sure that MultiCharts developers can release a better solution, able to cover all the possible needs on data exchange among MC applications, without using .dll.
Currently I need a simple way to exchange data between 2 Portfolio Trader sessions, sharing a common "data file" where I can mix numeric, string and boolean expressions. Example: Portfolio Trader #1 writes information (in this case an array) that Portfolio Trader #2 can use for trading.

Return to “MultiCharts”