Chart Trader Trailing stop lines  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Chart Trader Trailing stop lines

Postby bowlesj3 » 05 Sep 2018

Hi, I am looking at wiki on the trailing stop order https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... iling_Stop.

The trigger line which is dotted is obvious and also explained well.
The semi-transparent line which is also dotted is obvious and explained well.

The solid line with the U shaped arrow is not so obvious and not explained at all.

I had a live trailing stop out yesterday which was auto-attached and I noticed the solid line was set at 1 cent above my entry price (1 cent is the bid/ask spread). I also tried moving it with drag and drop and it would not move. Am I correct in assuming it is suppose to be the entry price but somehow it got set incorrectly?

I also noticed with a prior trade that the trailing stop does not stick over night (between trading sessions). Is there a way to make it stick across sessions rather than my having to apply it again?

Thanks,
John

Anna MultiCharts

Re: Chart Trader Trailing stop lines  [SOLVED]

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 14 Sep 2018

Hello, bowlesj3!

The solid line shows the open position at the Avg. Entry Price level. The U shaped arrow allows reversing the position. This is schematically shown here:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... rt_Trading
That is impossible to move a position, it’s not supposed to move. The Avg. Entry Price level is taken from the Order and Position Tracker -> Open Positions tab.
“I also noticed with a prior trade that the trailing stop does not stick over night (between trading sessions). Is there a way to make it stick across sessions rather than my having to apply it again?” – please make sure that the TIF (time in force) is set to GTC, and not DAY.

bowlesj3

Re: Chart Trader Trailing stop lines

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Sep 2018

Hello, bowlesj3!
“I also noticed with a prior trade that the trailing stop does not stick over night (between trading sessions). Is there a way to make it stick across sessions rather than my having to apply it again?” – please make sure that the TIF (time in force) is set to GTC, and not DAY.
Thanks Anna,

regarding the above quote I am assuming the attached picture is what you are talking about. I am pretty sure that I had it set to GTC since it seems to hold its default. I will see if it happens again.

John
Attachments
TrailingStop.png
(54.97 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

Return to “MultiCharts”