1-min chart data mapping problem - Historical vs Real-time data from Interactive Brokers

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
McGeorge

1-min chart data mapping problem - Historical vs Real-time data from Interactive Brokers

Postby McGeorge » 10 Oct 2018

Hi there,

I found out a data accuracy problem in the 1-min bar chart during the trading session. The data provider is Interactive Broker. It happens at one of below situations.

1. When I open a chart in the middle of a trading session
2. For some reasons when I need to re-load a chart

I looked into the data carefully in Quote Manager and found that the real-time data contained tick data only, even though a 1-min chart was plotted. The data before the time I loaded the chart were historical minute data backfilled. That is where the problems happened. The tick data mapped to the time axis of the 1-min chart were 1 minute later than the actual time. E.g. A 1-min bar for ticks within 9:20am shows a time of 9:21am in the time axis. However, the historical data (1-min data) were mapped to a correct time in the time axis of the 1-min chart.

Because of such difference in time mapping, The tick data caused one missing bar in the chart. E.g. If I load a chart at 9:20am, MC will collect real-time tick data from IB and map them to 9:21am of the time axis. MC will also collect historical minute data up to 9:19am. There will be no bar for 9:20am in the chart. The OLHC data around the upload time may also be wrong.

Can the time mapping problem be solved by adjusting the setup?

Thanks,
McGeorge

TJ

Re: 1-min chart data mapping problem - Historical vs Real-time data from Interactive Brokers

Postby TJ » 10 Oct 2018

See this recent thread:

viewtopic.php?t=51624

McGeorge

Re: 1-min chart data mapping problem - Historical vs Real-time data from Interactive Brokers

Postby McGeorge » 10 Oct 2018

See this recent thread:

viewtopic.php?t=51624
Hi TJ,

I am afraid they are two separate issues. Mine is about MC loading historical and real-time data into 1-min chart differently. It is not likely a true data discrepancy between historical and real-time data like the one described in the thread.

Maybe MC support can answer the question. Anyway, thanks for your eagerness to help.

Thanks,
McGeorge

Zheka

Postby Zheka » 11 Oct 2018

MC does not store real-time ticks (from which it constructs 1-min bars) to QM database by default. You need to "Flush" them to the database manually to be able to observe and compare the timestamps.

1-min bars up to the last full minute come from historical IB servers (and saved), the current "not-yet-closed" bars is created from ticks (cached).

With which instrument do you see this behavior?

McGeorge

Postby McGeorge » 11 Oct 2018

MC does not store real-time ticks (from which it constructs 1-min bars) to QM database by default. You need to "Flush" them to the database manually to be able to observe and compare the timestamps.

1-min bars up to the last full minute come from historical IB servers (and saved), the current "not-yet-closed" bars is created from ticks (cached).

With which instrument do you see this behavior?
Hi Zheka,

I did not do any "flushing" but I was still able to see the tick data from "Edit Data" in Quote Manager. That was the place where I compared the historical minute data against the real-time tick data and understood how MC plotted the two sets of data in the 1-min chart. What I found was that MC mapped the tick data to a time axis value that was one minute later. However, that was not the case with minute data.

The instrument is @HSI.

Thanks,
McGeorge

AlexS MultiCharts

Postby AlexS MultiCharts » 12 Oct 2018

Hello McGeorge!

MultiCharts uses bar close timestamp. So a 1-min bar that opens at 9:20am will have the 9:21am timestamp.

Return to “MultiCharts”