Symbol list question - for stocks

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
futurestrader019

Symbol list question - for stocks

Postby futurestrader019 » 14 May 2019

It's been awhile since I used MC, but I'm back but 100% focused on equities.

In other charting platforms, I just type the symbol and the chart loads. I think MC uses symbol lists and symbols have to added there first? If so, is there a way to 'dump' all stock tickers in there so I don't lose time doing this intraday for every single ticker?

Will be using Interactive Brokers if that matters.

Ty and plan to be around again!

sptrader

Re: Symbol list question - for stocks

Postby sptrader » 14 May 2019

I think you can import a text file of all of the symbols that you want to follow into the quote manager. I haven't tried it yet but I remember that question coming up before. You may want to do a search for it here.

futurestrader019

Postby futurestrader019 » 15 May 2019

It appears with IB at least, you have to enter the tickers one by one and in the exact format. It's not just 'AAPL' and done. Format is:
MSFT, USD Stock MSFT (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks
(not exactly quick and easy to type on the fly)

I'm kind of surprised that in 2019 with version 12 of MC that this process has not been streamlined.

I trade whatever tickers hit my scans. There's no way to know in advance. So when a ticker is possibly in play, I'll have to first go to the Quote Manager and manually get that ticker added, then go to the charts and then place a trade -- assuming it's not too late.

Somehow this problem doesn't exist on NT using IB data. I just confirmed w/ them they don't require manually entering each and every symbol (I have not tested that yet).

And obviously using software directly from your broker this problem doesn't exist either.

Not a big deal if you trade the same handful of futures; but this is a time consuming nightmare for stock traders.

The other option I was told is to get a list from IQ feed and use their data (where I can upload the list) but then I have to 'symbol map' to IB anyways. Another manual process.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 21 May 2019

Hello, futurestrader019!

As far as we know NT have about 900 pre-added stocks from IB in their database. This simplifies the use of symbols because one doesn’t have to add each of them. But these are most commonly used stocks. If you select a stock that’s not found in this list it will be required to add it as well, e.g VOLV.B on SFB, and the process of adding the symbol seems to be more complex than the one in MultiCharts:
https://bit.ly/2VYZGaL (updated link)

Though we understand that this is an old post and a lot could have changed since 2015 so please provide a screenshot from NT that shows the ability of adding the complete list of symbols.

futurestrader019

Postby futurestrader019 » 21 May 2019

Hi Anna - I have been demo'ing NT since I started to look at Multicharts too and I have yet to manually enter a single ticker in to the platform. So far at least, every ticker I type 'just shows up' and I can trade it.

Very different than how Multi handles the exact same process. Somehow NT figured out how to make this easier for traders; Multi decided years and years ago that the Quote manager manual process was good. In equities, the quote manager process with Multi is simply not good, nor does it compete against other platforms.

I understand Multi caters to futures as evidenced by the broker selection, but equities is a different area altogether. Tickers I trade today, I may not touch again till their earnings release. Or a news event on a ticker is hot today, gone tomorrow. So the manual one-by-one process that Multi employs is just simply outdated and not a good use of my time. I would guess any equities trader would feel the same, esp if they've used NT, TS, TOS, etc that all streamline the approach of 'typing a symbol and go'. Other platforms have figured out how to bypass any sort of manual quote manager, yet Multi insists on using it.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 23 May 2019

futurestrader019,

As I mentioned in my previous post the easiness of adding symbols in NT might be related to the fact that they already have some pre-defined stocks in their database. Do you have access to NT now? Have you tried using some stocks that are not pre-added to NT’s database, i.e Swedish stocks? Is it as easy as using MSFT, for example? Our engineers have tried that: it doesn’t seem easy at all.

You’ve mentioned several times that you need to add the symbols from IB manually. Why don’t you use the Lookup option? https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... plied_List
It is also accessible from the Format Instrument window both on charts and in Portfolio.

You can as well import a list of symbols in ASCII format:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ymbol_List
As you correctly mentioned above the description of IB symbols should contain currency code, instrument category and exchange in parentheses for the symbols to work properly: USD Stock MSFT (NASDAQ).

We’d be happy to add the opportunity of adding the complete list of IB stocks using just several clicks as it’s done for other data providers, but as far as we are concerned IB API doesn’t allow for requesting such list so it is required to know the symbol name to perform the lookup.

If someone provides us with a proof that requesting a complete symbol list from IB is possible in other programs we’ll investigate this further.

futurestrader019

Postby futurestrader019 » 28 May 2019

Hi Anna,
I am now using NT in a production/live account and so far, I haven't had to manually add ANY equities. Zero. I just 'type and go', like ToS, TS, etc. Once I connected NT to IB, I've done nothing but focus on trading.

I only trade US equities so I cannot comment on Swedish stocks.

Via MC email support, I asked what my options were using Interactive Brokers and was told there isn't a way to import in ASCII format. So that option does not exist with Interactive Brokers.

So we're back to what I said initially: other companies make trading stocks very easy and MultiCharts takes a very old, outdated approach. Somehow, NT and others have figured out how to just 'type and go' but Multi still does not offer that capability. How did they do it? I don't know, that's your job to figure out. All I know is that I bought a lifetime license to NT b/c I don't want to touch the MultiCharts quote manager dated system.

As said previously, I understand Multi goes after the futures trader first but if you're going to support equities, then it would be worthwhile to keep pace with your competition. What stock lists are needed? US companies? Maybe start there and if needed, you can add Swedish equities later if there's demand.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 30 May 2019

futurestrader019,

Thank you for your feedback. We’ve checked how it works in NT and I described that above. Unfortunately IB API doesn’t return the complete symbol list; please resort to one of the options I listed above.
It also won’t be possible for us to add pre-built stocks from IB to QuoteManager because this will require complete reorganization of the database and will make it incompatible with the older database versions.
Via MC email support, I asked what my options were using Interactive Brokers and was told there isn't a way to import in ASCII format. So that option does not exist with Interactive Brokers
I believe there’s some misunderstanding. Here’s the answer that was provided to you by email:

“As you may already know - there is no way to add multiple instruments in one go for IB using the Lookup, as IB API does not provide such option.
If you have a list of instruments in txt format - you can import it into QuoteManager:
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... ymbol_List

The currency code in the instrument’s description is critical for accessing the data for IB symbols.
For example for MSFT the following description is provided by the API: USD Stock MSFT (NASDAQ).
The most import part is currency code USD.
Therefore the symbols in IB symbol list need to have the currency code on the first place in the description.
If it is missing then that is highly likely that the data will not be provided by the API.
You also need to make sure the proper exchange is specified as IB has individual subscriptions for accessing the data for the specific exchange.

Example
Symbol Name, Description, Exchange, Category MSFT, USD Stock MSFT (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks AAPL, USD Stock AAPL (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks YHOO, USD Stock YHOO (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks”

This answer doesn’t imply that the symbol list import option doesn’t work for IB.

futurestrader019

Postby futurestrader019 » 25 Jul 2019

Update since I left Multi and moved to NT for everything:

I've had two symbol mapping issues that was a quick resolution. That's it. I haven't touched their database for anything else, incl IPOs. I haven't had to manually do anything, other than type a ticker symbol and go - which is how it should be in 2019. Manually creating a database and/or trying import ideas is very dated. It may have worked for MC in the early/mid 2000's but the fact remains it's a very old and dated way to handle stock symbols.

How does NT, TOS, TS, etc manage it behind-the-scenes to the end user just types a symbol and it works?
No idea.

I just know it works instantly. I'm not looking for a software solution to create more work, I want less manual work.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 29 Jul 2019

futurestrader019,

Thanks for sharing your observations. TOS and TS are brokers themselves so they have their own symbol list that doesn’t require any additional configurations.
How it works in NT and why we cannot add a pre-built symbol list like them was described in my commentaries above.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 01 Aug 2019

Regarding import a batch of symbols, in this example SP500, there must be an easier way of handling symbol lists for the end user... i am going to change data supplier from esignal to IQ, and i need to import ALL sp500 stocks.... from previous communications with MC although you are providing a possibility to import a excel list with symbols however they all needs to be mapped to IB, i can get a list from IQ in a text format that can be changed to fit your import format, however each symbol then needs to be mapped to IB... but this involves a huge manual task... i believe that there must be a solution for this nightmare? for the end user trading stocks compared to futurestraders, this is a nightmare

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 02 Aug 2019

Hello, Salzburg!

Here you can find the steps to facilitate the symbol mapping procedure for stocks: viewtopic.php?t=47718#p118769

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 05 Aug 2019

Thank you but i am aware of how to map symbols, its just that in the current form its a nightmare to deal with when its needed to add lots and lots of symbols.
The only way to add symbols in its current form and to get it correct, is to ad them manually.. however someone needs to put some pressure on how api, information and mc is handling this... since in its current form its not really good. It would be beneficial if IB, MC and for example Esignal etc, to talk and try to solve these issues, since there is an API and the information exists to get this handled by auto or at least in a better way for the end user, it would be good if some progress could be made to make this better handled for the end user. to not be able to import a whole list of all stocks directly from the API on for example NASDAQ or all sp 500 stocks is very strange and having to deal with adding single stocks manually one by one and mapping them one by one or having to deal with excel imports and exports and hope that it get mapped correct is not really great.. just my thoughts at least.. Thanks for a great product in general though

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 06 Aug 2019

Salzburg,

We totally understand that this needs to be improved, but unfortunately this is not something that we can change. If there was a possibility to request the complete symbol list from IB and to add all of the symbols at once we’d implement it. Unfortunately this possibility is missing in IB API. Please reach out to IB and let them know of your interest of having the ability to request the complete symbol list from their API. If this change is implemented on their end we’d be able to accommodate to it too.

Return to “MultiCharts”