Creating strategies without code  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
orad

Creating strategies without code

Postby orad » 08 Jun 2019

Hi, I know MultiCharts programming well (using C#) but I've never understood how to use existing studies to compose strategies without coding, just by applying existing signals and setting properties. Can you please give me an example of how to use pre-installed signals to put together a simple strategy like below?

For example:
- If Fast MA crosses above Slow MA, Long 1 and set a Trailing Stop that Trails 1% back.
- If Fast MA crosses below Slow MA, Short 1 and set a Trailing Stop that Trails 1% back.

What I don't understand is there are signals for Moving Average cross-over and signals for Trailing Stop, but when applying multiple signals on the chart, how can an event from one signal trigger an action on another signal (here MA cross-over triggering Trailing Stop order). Is it possible at all?

If it's not possible without coding can you show me the PowerLanguage syntax for it, preferably reusing existing signals?

Thanks!

darob

Re: Creating strategies without code  [SOLVED]

Postby darob » 10 Jun 2019

Hi orad, in your example you'd load the prebuilt MovAvg2Line_Cross_LE (SE), Stop_Loss and Percent_Trailing signals. Then enter the MA, stoploss, percent trailing and trigger (FloorAmt) inputs. The MA crossover triggers entry and the fill activates the stoploss and if/when the trade advances by the floor amount the trailing stop activates.

Return to “MultiCharts”