GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue); using wrong symbol

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue); using wrong symbol

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Aug 2019

Hi,

I tried putting this bug in the bug tracker but when I click the button "Report an issue" it gives me this error "compact(): Undefined Variable: issue" at the top of the screen and it does not give me the screen for entering the information. I was going to simply point it at this thread since it has everything including how to recreate the problem.

The following code in one of my scripts is intermittently getting the wrong symbol's screen highest and lowest values.

Code: Select all

ScreenValHighest = GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue);
ScreenValLowest = GetAppInfo(aiLowestDispValue);
The code that tipped me off to this is this code. The debugging statement is what shows me the problem.
There are a bunch of variants on the A_Place1TrailUnitText2 function throughout the script but the key point is the file append.

Code: Select all

//START: code to position text on the screen properly
ScreenValHighest = GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue);
ScreenValLowest = GetAppInfo(aiLowestDispValue);
TrailUnitSpacing = (ScreenValHighest - ScreenValLowest) / SpacingDivisor; //Reducing the divisor from 26.66 to 26 increases the TrailUnitSpacing value.
//END: code to position text on the screen properly
LastSwingLowPriceID = A_Place1TrailUnitText2(1,Tdate,Ttime,Tool_Black,numtostr(LastSwingLowPriceDiffU,0),LastSwingLowPriceID,LastSwingLowPrice - TrailUnitSpacing);
if realsym = "NGD" and BarSizeType = "15M" then
FileAppend(LogPath,
" RealSym=" + RealSym +
" DoingCode=" +
DoingCode +
" 1A " +
" TrailUnitSpacing=" +
numtostr(TrailUnitSpacing,2) + " ScreenValHighest=" + numtostr(ScreenValHighest,2) + " ScreenValLowest=" + numtostr(ScreenValLowest,2) + " SpacingDivisor=" + numtostr(SpacingDivisor,2) +
NewLine);
You can see the output of the fileappend statement here and see the different ScreenValHighest and ScreenValLowest jump lower all of a sudden while the symbol does not change. The smaller ScreenValHighest and ScreenValLowest values are the correct ones for the symbol NGD.
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do1 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.13 ScreenValHighest=46.74 ScreenValLowest=43.34 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do1 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.13 ScreenValHighest=46.74 ScreenValLowest=43.34 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do2 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.13 ScreenValHighest=46.74 ScreenValLowest=43.34 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do2 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.13 ScreenValHighest=46.74 ScreenValLowest=43.34 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do3 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.13 ScreenValHighest=46.74 ScreenValLowest=43.34 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do3 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.13 ScreenValHighest=46.74 ScreenValLowest=43.34 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do1 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.02 ScreenValHighest=1.99 ScreenValLowest=1.41 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do1 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.02 ScreenValHighest=1.99 ScreenValLowest=1.41 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do2 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.02 ScreenValHighest=1.99 ScreenValLowest=1.41 SpacingDivisor=26.00
RealSym=NGD DoingCode=Do2 1A TrailUnitSpacing=0.02 ScreenValHighest=1.99 ScreenValLowest=1.41 SpacingDivisor=26.00
It occurs when I use the scanner to change charts. It seems to correct itself after a few displays but sometimes it does not and the bars at the end where the last bar on chart will display the text too far out from the prices. The text is a display of the unit size of the swing. On occasion it actually puts the text right off the screen. If the text has been spaced an incorrect distance from the prices, to get the text the correct distance from the display I have to turn the study off then on again and it is fine. Doing this corrects it every single time without fail and this is probably because the scanner is not switching symbols at that time.

I can recreate this problem every day without fail. It has been happening a long time and I finally decided to dig in and see if I can fix it.

I probably don't need to mention this but the command to get the symbol is this one. It only executes once during currentbar=1;
RealSym = getsymbolname;

I just checked this if statement throughout the code. It is always the same. So ti should not be displaying prices from the prior symbol.
if realsym = "NGD" and BarSizeType = "15M" then

The bigger prices do match the symbol which I just previously selected on the scanner for chart displaying. So somehow those two statements are not picking up the current symbols screen values quick enough (or at all on occasion).

I have a fileappend statement at the currentbar=1 location so I can see each time I switch symbols. If I switch back and forth between the two symbols over and over and over again pretty much every single time there are at least 10 rows in the fileappend output that have the other symbols prices at the start. So the values are not getting updated for the NGD symbol quick enough. So the randomness in my seeing it on the screen occurs because on random occasions none of the NGD displays get the correct prices even out to the last bar on chart area.

John

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue); using wrong symbol

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 06 Aug 2019

Hello, John,

We have reproduced this issue on our side. Sorry for inconvenience. Our engineers will work on fixing this bug. The improvement can be expected in one of the future MultiCharts versions.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Aug 2019

Thanks Svetlana. I will try to keep multicharts up to date as best as I can since I will be trading a lot more this year and beyond. I have been away from it a lot for a while now. John

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Mar 2020

Hello, John,

We have reproduced this issue on our side. Sorry for inconvenience. Our engineers will work on fixing this bug. The improvement can be expected in one of the future MultiCharts versions.
Hi, I am wondering how this fix is coming. I am still running MC64 bit version 11. I have not gotten around to upgrading. However I checked the release 12 notes and could not see anything related to this. I am wondering what sort of fix comment I would be looking for. Thanks, John

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 12 Mar 2020

Hello John,

Sorry, the fix has not been included in the current version yet. The improvement is currently targeted for MultiCharts 14 Release 3.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 17 Aug 2020

Hello John,

Sorry, the fix has not been included in the current version yet. The improvement is currently targeted for MultiCharts 14 Release 3.
Hi, I am wondering if this fix is in the current MultiCharts 14 Release 3 beta as Svetlana's comment suggests. If the answer is yes I am thinking I could upgrade to it and test it on my setup but before I do that I need the answer to a second question. If I upgrade to the beta and there is a problem that effects my trading can I roll back to the current production version or even back to my current version?

Thanks,
John

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 18 Aug 2020

Hello John,

The issue is not fixed in any of MultiCharts 14 OpenBeta versions.
It is currently targeted for the third release version of MultiCharts 14.

If you want to use the OpenBeta version anyway, it will be installed separately from your current release version.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 22 Aug 2020

Thanks Svetlana,
If you want to use the OpenBeta version anyway, it will be installed separately from your current release version.
Regarding the above, I am thinking maybe I could run beta if the data file structure is the same. However questions arise related to my daily procedure.

Am I correct in assuming the beta version sets up a new set of data files? If so is the file structure is the same? I need to be able to fit my procedure in and be able to revert back to production files if needed. Is my procedure below feasible?

#1 Every night after market close I step the 81 stock charts to ensure all data is in the files. I would do this on the Beta version (same workspace name but in the beta directory) . When this is done I would copy the beta data files to the release data file directory and do my zip backup of the release files.

#2 On beta I would run my MS-Access process to load a short list scanner workspace of 10 to 20 stocks for the next trading day. I would then copy this workspace to the release directory. My concern is will the workspace be the same?

Thanks,
John

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 25 Aug 2020

Regarding the above, I am thinking maybe I could run beta if the data file structure is the same. However questions arise related to my daily procedure.
Hello,

You can transfer data from MC12 to MC14 using our backup and restore applications.
Workspaces created in MC12 are opened in MC14 without any changes. While not all files created in MC14 are compatible with MC12.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Feb 2022

Hello John,

The issue is not fixed in any of MultiCharts 14 OpenBeta versions.
It is currently targeted for the third release version of MultiCharts 14.
Hi,

I noticed MultiCharts 14 release 4 is out. So since that is past the third release mentioned in the quote above I went looking to see if the issue in the thread has been fix and I did not see it. Has it been?

Thanks,
John

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 03 Mar 2022

Hello,

The improvement is not included in the release yet. The engineers prepared a hotfix for this case.

Make sure you use the latest version (MultiCharts 14 Release 4) before installing the updater.

MultiCharts

MultiCharts .NET

How to use it:
1. Download.
2. Unblock the archive with the updater right after you download it before installing (right-click on the file > Properties > check Unblock at the bottom right).
3. Close MultiCharts and all its applications (QuoteManager, PowerLanguage Editor, Portfolio Trader, 3D Optimization Charts, etc.).
4. Run Windows Task Manager (right-click on the windows clock -> run Task Manager) and make sure that all MultiCharts Processes are finished. If a MultiCharts process is still there after 20 seconds, end it manually.
5. Unzip the archive.
6. Run the Updater.exe and click on the Update button.
7. Scroll up in the updater log to make sure there are no errors. If there is an error, contact us.
8. Close the updater.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 03 Mar 2022

Thanks Svetlana,

I ran the updater and got zero errors. However I get the error in the attached png file when I try to run MultiCharts 64.

John
Error.png
(11.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 03 Mar 2022

I ran the updater and got zero errors. However I get the error in the attached png file when I try to run MultiCharts 64.
If you get an error after installing the updater, do the Repair to remove the updater (Control Panel-> Programs and Features-> MC->double left click–>Next->Repair).

Make sure you use the latest version (MultiCharts 14 Release 4) before installing the updater again.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 03 Mar 2022

If you get an error after installing the updater, do the Repair to remove the updater (Control Panel-> Programs and Features-> MC->double left click–>Next->Repair).

Make sure you use the latest version (MultiCharts 14 Release 4) before installing the updater again.
Thanks for getting back to me so fast Svetlana. You people are so great! I am such a big fan and very appreciative of what you do.

I am a bit caught up in project at the moment. I will try to upgrade MC64 then run the updater as soon as I get through that project.

John

Return to “MultiCharts”