MC inputs via currently highlighted line or text.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

MC inputs via currently highlighted line or text.

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Jun 2008

If MC can not do this now, as a discretionary trader I think it would be very useful if in MC, one could get the attributes of the currently highlight text box or trend line. It would have to be any text or trend line meaning either one placed on the chart by the EL code or manually by the user. Example code.

If CurrentlyHighLightedText_Value = "CodeFormatForMyEntryPoiints" then
Prepare That Particulare Entry Point.
If CurrentlyHighLightedText_Price = 1500 then
do something with the attributes.
If CurrentlyHighLightedText_Date = Whatever then
If CurrentlyHighLightedText_Time = Whatever then

If CurrentlyHighLightedLine_StartTime = Whatever then
If CurrentlyHighLightedLine_Endtime = Whatever then
If CurrentlyHighLightedLine_StartPrice = Whatever then

How might it be used? I am sure there are lots of ways but for me I typically have my potential entry points displayed on the minute bar screen in text short forms. I would click on the one I want and its text code would be used to set my entry point for auto-fire. It would save a lot of data entry time, which I currently do through a database program.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 08 Jun 2008, edited 2 times in total.

bowlesj3

Instantly available to MC reserve word GVs.

Postby bowlesj3 » 08 Jun 2008

Regarding this, what some would say a "thinking outside the box" idea, if this idea ever comes to reality, the instant the line or text box is highlighted it should also update a set of Global Variables with the attributes of this line/text-box. The symbol of the chart should be included at the end of the GV of course (or maybe some traders are using multiple symbols on one chart so maybe they should be appended on the end).

The reason for this is simple. MC has basically no forms creating ability at all and a heck of a lot of extra power can be harnested from a good database program and a trader who knows how to program it. However for some traders it may also be a matter of getting that data into a GV to be available in another chart instantly (or at least on the next tick rather than having to wait for a tick to send the GV the data and a tick to get the data from that GV in the other chart). It is not the same concept as the ideas behind forcing the recalculation command prior to a tick coming in. In that case I was suggesting that MC could somehow be programmed to search for a special MC reserved GV for each chart prior to the tick triggered EL code cycle (a GV reserved for recalculation only).

Return to “MultiCharts”