SAXO Group

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Mydesign

SAXO Group

Postby Mydesign » 06 Jan 2020

Hello,

I have a funded account with Saxo and I am doing some tests with new MC connectivity. Few comments / questions:

The login procedure is a bit confusing between datafeed vs brokerage and Live vs Demo. The external login window with manual identification is an annoying extra-step. Any chance we get this automated in the future ?
I managed anyway to get it working as follow: Datafeed from Live account and Trading on Sim account. So far so good but:

What is the correct setting to avoid the position hedging mode (called "Real-time netting: OFF" in Saxo platform) ? I hate it and furthermore it seems that it does not get correct sync with MC. Everytime I force the option (Real-time netting: ON") things are okay (for me and for MC), but next time I logon from MC it switches it off automatically, and positions are not necesserally in sync. Do we have to force the option everytime ?

The open P/L is wrong with Sim account (displaying +/-100% P/L), but apparently correct when trading on Live account.

As Henry mentionned, tick based charts are constructed from 1-minute datas (2 to 4 ticks per bar). Is it also the case with realtime datafeed ?

Best regards.

Mydesign

Re: SAXO Group

Postby Mydesign » 06 Jan 2020

So apparently MC needs the realtime netting to be off... seriously ?

Attachments
Saxo Netting.png
(12.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Saxo Group

Postby Saxo Group » 06 Jan 2020

Hi Mydesign,

Thank you for the feedback. I hope you followed the complete guide on our help portal which should clear up some of the confusion around broker/datafeed config. Saxo provides both in MultiCharts, but the setup does get a bit complicated.

The external login window is required for security purposes and is based on OAuth PKCE, which is currently one of the most secure logging flows available for native apps. You can use a password manager in your default browser if you want the login to be handled automatically.

As for your setup drawing data from LIVE and trading against SIM, I think that is the best-case (back)testing and auto-trading setup if you want to get comfortable with the integration.

Real-time netting is currently not supported with MultiCharts, which means it needs to be switched off in SaxoTraderGO in order to sync correctly with MultiCharts. Support for real-time netting is on the roadmap for the next major release of this integration.

Depending on the instrument, the SIM environment does not provide market data so the P/L figures will be incorrect. We are currently able to provide real-time FX in SIM (see the Market Data section in the help link I shared above).

Real-time streaming data ticks down to individual bid/ask movements, as you would expect. As far as I understand it, these are cached by MultiCharts and can be used to create tick-based strategies. Historical data is limit to 2-4 ticks depending on the instrument.

For more questions, feel free to follow up!

Kind regards,

Gid van der Ven
Saxo OpenAPI Team

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 07 Jan 2020

Thank you Gid for your answers.
Real-time netting is currently not supported with MultiCharts, which means it needs to be switched off in SaxoTraderGO in order to sync correctly with MultiCharts. Support for real-time netting is on the roadmap for the next major release of this integration.
This is a must, I cannot wait for next release ! Actually I don't understand the issue as I experience the exact opposite: correct sync with real-time netting (on), bad sync without it (off).

For instance with netting off: buy 1 lot CFD US30 manually from MC, then close it manually from SaxoTrader: the position is still open in MC ! If then we close it from MC, it will actually open a reverse trade in SaxoTrader.

As soon as I force netting On, everything is fine... until next login :-(

As far as I understand, MC does not handle hedging logic correctly: it is either long, short or flat... not "squared" as reported in SaxoTrader. So why this situation ?

Saxo Group

Postby Saxo Group » 07 Jan 2020

Hi Mydesign,

Thanks for the feedback again!

This comes down to netting configuration and the way MC closes positions. In End-of-Day netting mode, which is the default and currently supported by MC, individual positions can either be closed explicitly (which 'greys out' the order in STGO) or implicitly, by sending an order for the net amount in the opposing direction.

In MultiCharts, the "Open Positions" tab shows your net positions, hiding any position that is either closed or squared in STGO (in net position-terms these are equivalent). MultiCharts uses the net position amount to implicitly close a position by sending an opposing order. For instance, if your portfolio consists of a single long position of amount 1 in US.30, MC will send a sell order for 1 US.30 to 'close' this position. They will show as individual positions in STGO and get netted out at the end of the trading session during our overnight backoffice processing. There is generally speaking no difference between having two opposing positions or a single closed position and both situations are handled similarly in terms of booking your positions/profits, etc.

That said, if you explicitly closed a position in STGO, it should by all means also be removed from the MC UI to prevent the sync issue you described. If you are able to replicate this, please contact the MC team with as many details as you have so they can look into this. I did some testing with US.30 and other instruments on my end on a live account and have not been able to replicate your scenario.

Regards,

Gid van der Ven
Saxo OpenAPI Team

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 07 Jan 2020

Granted, both methods are equivalent at the end of the day. It comes down to personal habits and preferences between a trade centric approach and a true FIFO position centric logic. I though Multicharts was based on the latter... thus the ambiguity.

Yet, I can reproduce the described behavior (on Sim account though, I don't want to mess around with real money). I will get in touch with MC fellows.

Best Regards.

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 08 Jan 2020

Update: Henry from MC provided me with a fix, and so far the sync issue is gone. I guess it will be available in the next release... hopefully with the real-time netting compatibility too :roll:

Saxo Group

Postby Saxo Group » 08 Jan 2020

Hi Mydesign, good to hear that!

I'll get in touch with Henry to check up on the fix. We are looking to add real-time netting support relatively soon but I'll have to ask Henry about this too before I can provide definite timelines.

/Gid

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 08 Jan 2020

Hang on, I had another sync issue this morning, despite the patching. This time with an automatic entry order, recieved and displayed as open position in STGo, but not displayed at all in MC :cry:

Frankly I did not expect to do so much beta testing on a released version...

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 24 Jan 2020

Hello, Mydesign!

If you face a similar situation again – when you send an order from MultiCharts, it reaches the broker, but it is not displayed in MultiCharts – please send us the logs for analysis from Help -> Feedback. Remember to specify the time/date of the order and it’s properties: symbol, quantity, order type, etc.

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 24 Jan 2020

I already sent logs and details to Henry regarding this issue. Since then I have not been able to reproduce it anymore...

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 12 Feb 2020

Could anyone from Saxo or MC please confirm that one can use Saxo Datafeed on several PC at the same time ? Are there any limitations ?

I did some tests and the connection to Saxo Live datafeed seems to be disrupted when 2 MC are requesting datas at the same time: one gets disconnected as the 2nd is connecting, until the 1st gets his connection back (and disconnects the 2nd), and so on...

See Quote Manager messages below.
Saxo Connection.png
(36.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Thank you !

Saxo Group

Postby Saxo Group » 12 Feb 2020

Hi Mydesign,

This is the intended behavior. Trading venues where these prices originate do not allow us to stream real-time prices to more than 1 end-client application at a time. This is also why Saxo platforms will switch to 'delayed mode' in the future when MC requests real-time prices. Running multiple instances of MC on the same live-data subscription is not possible (delayed is fine though).

Kind regards,

Gid van der Ven
Saxo OpenAPI Team

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 13 Feb 2020

Thank you Gid. So you mean that multiple realtime datafeed is not allowed, but historical backfilling on multiple MC instances is okay ? What is this 'delayed mode' exactly ?

Saxo Group

Postby Saxo Group » 13 Feb 2020

Hi Mydesign,

When you configure the Saxo datafeed in MultiCharts as 'secondary', you can run as many MC instances as you want and they will all get delayed prices and full history. It is only the 'primary' config that is restricted to a single end-client app. See "How do I set up Saxo market data in MultiCharts?" in the full guide.

Currently, to prevent multiple front-ends from streaming live data, Saxo apps will log out when MultiCharts takes the primary data session. This is not ideal as we want you to be able to keep an eye on your account from within our own apps while you use MultiCharts. So in the near future, we will release an update on our end that will switch Saxo platforms to 'secondary mode' instead (similar to running a secondary datafeed in MC).

Gid van der Ven
Saxo OpenAPI Team

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 13 Feb 2020

Thanks for the explanation, this is much clearer now. I actually overlooked this 'secondary mode'...

imoneyfish

Postby imoneyfish » 09 Jun 2020

Does it support real-time netting now?

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 20 Oct 2020

Does it support real-time netting now?
Apparently YES ! It does support real-time netting, although I haven't seen any communication on that.

Edit: Wait... actually nope, the setting keeps getting switched off every time I reconnect MC to Saxo API :cry:

Return to “MultiCharts”