Using Symbols After Importing Symbol List

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TrendFirst

Using Symbols After Importing Symbol List

Postby TrendFirst » 12 Jan 2020

I recently imported a symbol list of 60 stock symbols (thanks for your help Svetlana).

After doing this, of course I wanted to use the symbols, so I proceeded to copy the symbol list from excel, and paste it in a MultiCharts watchlist with a linked chart. Every one of the symbols showed up as 'UNDEF'.

I double checked the documentation to see if there was some trick to using the imported symbols. Nothing was mentioned.

So what is the secret to using imported symbols?

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: Using Symbols After Importing Symbol List

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 24 Jan 2020

TrendFirst,

When one enters plain symbol name in Scanner, a new symbol with default data feed is created.
Default data feed — is the latest one that was used in the Scanner window. It is displayed in Format Instrument window when one calls for this dialogue to add an instrument.
image (1).png
(21.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In QuoteManager -> Tools -> Data Sources -> Abbr column, you can view abbreviations of the data sources’ names.
You can enter this abbreviation in Excel before the symbols name, for example ASC:AMT.
When you copy such a string and paste it in Scanner, it will select the required symbol, if it exists in QuoteManager.
If there is no such symbol, it will be added in QuoteManager and Scanner with a default exchange, as specified in your description.
image (2).png
(118.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “MultiCharts”