Importing symbols from interactive brokers

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bnewell5

Importing symbols from interactive brokers

Postby bnewell5 » 07 Apr 2020

Hello,

Hope you are having a great day!

New user, so thanks for the patience. I am currently working on importing international stocks into Multicharts from Interactive Brokers. I have compiled lists of international exchanges, imported them and am trying to pull the data from Interactive Brokers. The problem is that the API is not recognizing the symbol, and I am not entirely sure why.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before and how they solved it. Thanks!

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: Importing symbols from interactive brokers

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 01 May 2020

Hello bnewell5,

While importing a list of instruments in txt format please refer to the following instruction and recommendations:
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... ymbol_List

The currency code in the instrument’s description is critical for accessing the data for IB symbols.
For example for MSFT the following description is provided by the API: USD Stock MSFT (NASDAQ).
The most import part is currency code USD. Therefore the symbols in IB symbol list need to have the currency code on the first place in the description. If it is missing then that is highly likely that the data will not be provided by the API.
You also need to make sure the proper exchange is specified as IB has individual subscriptions for accessing the data for the specific exchange.

Example
Symbol Name, Description, Exchange, Category
MSFT, USD Stock MSFT (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks
AAPL, USD Stock AAPL (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks
YHOO, USD Stock YHOO (NASDAQ), SMART, Stocks

It is recommended to add instruments via Lookup (QuoteManager -> Instrument -> Add symbol -> From data source -> IB).

Return to “MultiCharts”