IB Chart Trading Issue

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
granitepeak

IB Chart Trading Issue

Postby granitepeak » 07 Aug 2020

Placed a limit buy order below market with an attached profit target. Order was filled but profit target did not appear nor close the trade when the price level was reached. Tried reapplying it several times. it says audible "Order Submitted" but nothing else. No problems with Trading through CQG.

Thanks
DB

granitepeak

Re: IB Chart Trading Issue

Found the issue

1, the lowest number you can use is not $.001, but rather $1

I wanted to test trading response time on some ETF's

granitepeak

and open position profit does not show up

granitepeak

Postby granitepeak » 08 Aug 2020

I am fairly certain that what is different with IB when compared to other firms I have traded MC with is their adding of commission costs. If you by 1 share of XYZ at $1.00, the open position shows $2.00 because there trading cost minimum is $1.00. In my test there were a number of single share positions on DIA which added to my confusion.

I am guessing automation would need to add the trading costs into the exits, that I will confirm next week. Can only guess what I will find with futures.

1. The filled orders on the chart and in the log were correct..
2. The average open position value in the tracking center did not equal the value of the average price of the raw open positions. In fact it was so much higher that I didn't see it on the chart window as that open p/l was higher than the high of DIA that day. The reason can only be trading costs added into the position by IB. The P/L indicator matched the average price in the tracking center.
3. When I place the limit orders for my test with a attached profit target of $0.01, prior to the fill, I could see the faint profit target next to the limit order most certainly a penny away. When the order filled, I am guessing that the profit target moved up to $1.01 higher than the entry to take into account the trading costs and therefore gave the appearance that I could not set the profit target to a penny. It was a penny, just a penny higher than my raw entry price plus trading costs.

For me, I am not fond of the way it is handled, There is an exit cost which is not figured in and so the P/L with costs still needs a calculation to have the trade be net profitable on exit. Mixing IB methods with other brokers in the heat of the moment leaves room for me to pause to figure out where I am at. Of course things will change with larger trades of DIA as the the trading costs added to the average won't have the same impact, but still while hammering trades won't be clear.

If it were possible for MC to add an option to use the broker entry prices and broker quotes to calculate the average trade price without costs it would make it more clear for at least me.

Return to “MultiCharts”