Building a Database from RT datafeed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mickson

Building a Database from RT datafeed

Postby mickson » 11 Aug 2020

Hello

I am new to Multicharts. I have connected my QuoteManager to IB and I am collecting RT data w/o plotting.
In order to build a historical database do I need to open a chart with that symbol to pull the history?
Will I always need to open a chart to pull history of intraday data if i have been disconnected for a few days.

I have more than 80 symbols, if I have to open a chart to pull the history and getting missing data since my last opening of the chart. Is there a way to open multiple chart symbols in an easy quick way.

Am I correct running QoteManager collecting RT data only collects the data for the symbol when open but this data is not being stored in the database?
Please advise as I would like to take advantage of my marketfeed subscription and build a database.

Thanks
Mike

Tammy MultiCharts

Re: Building a Database from RT datafeed

Postby Tammy MultiCharts » 13 Aug 2020

Hello mickson,

Collect RT data w/o plotting option collects only real-time data and not historical data. To collect real-time data it is not necessary to build a chart, it is only required to have QuoteManager running. However, it does not collect historical data.

To load historical data, it is necessary to build a chart. You can use the option Collect RT data w/o plotting and build a chart at the same time, there will be no data conflicts.

After the chart is plotted, the data for the selected data range is downloaded and saved in the database. If you didn’t have a chart plotted for that symbol, then the historical data is not collected, and only the RT data is (if you have Collect RT data w/o plotting on).

To open multiple chart windows quickly you can save the workspace containing those charts and open it when you need it. Another option is the Scanner Window. It is designed for adding and monitoring multiple instruments simultaneously. The Scanner downloads data the same way as the charts. This way, you will not have to open charts one by one.

While using Collect RT data w/o plotting function, the data is stored in the cache and is periodically downloaded to the database. In order to save the cached data on demand without closing down, use the option Flush Cached Data to Database option in File -> Flush Cached Data to Database.

mickson

Re: Building a Database from RT datafeed

Postby mickson » 13 Aug 2020

Fantastic thanks Tammy that gives me a good understanding.

Return to “MultiCharts”