What is going on with the license server?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
hughesfleming

What is going on with the license server?

Postby hughesfleming » 12 Oct 2020

It just flashed up that my trial has ended in 2019. Trial? Since when. What is this all about. I have multiple licenses.

Kind regards,

Alex

ABC

Re: What is going on with the license server?

Postby ABC » 12 Oct 2020

Same here.

Regards,

ABC

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 12 Oct 2020

Same here. I was assured that this couldn't happen thanks to the redundancy in the licensing server setup.

TCust

Postby TCust » 12 Oct 2020

They released MC 14 and offered to upgrade to it )

In MC 14 licensing server normal work

wilkinsw

They released MC 14 and offered to upgrade to it )

In MC 14 licensing server normal work
That was about as helpful as a chocolate teapot. Thanks.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 12 Oct 2020

Surely they could have does this on the weekend instead of kicking everyone out while markets are open.

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 12 Oct 2020

Same here. It went back to normal after several minutes, but one had to manually register the license again, which is a real issue with unattended auto trading !

MC staff on chat acknowledged a problem with the license server and apologized for the "inconvenience".

wilkinsw

Same here. It went back to normal after several minutes, but one had to manually register the license again, which is a real issue with unattended auto trading !

MC staff on chat acknowledged a problem with the license server and apologized for the "inconvenience".
I find the best way to capture being booted like this is to use indicators that monitor the realtime data feeds. If the price hasn't updated >x*mins then send an alert. Use recalclastbarafter(10) and Getappingo(aiCalcReason)=3. If the number of aicalcreason=3 events accumulate (without being reset by aicalcreason=0) then send an alert.

The big issue I have is that MC doesn't backfill the charts once the user has re-registered.

MC: can you build a patch to force backfills once re-registering?? It took me 3 hours to refresh all effected charts!

Will

SP

Postby SP » 12 Oct 2020

I was surprised that the charts stopped working but the DOMs still showed the quotes and updated,
Last edited by SP on 12 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

TCust

MC: can you build a patch to force backfills once re-registering?? It took me 3 hours to refresh all effected charts!

Will
In MC 14 have now Data Downloader, although in theory they should have it from the very first versions )

wilkinsw

Will
In MC 14 have now Data Downloader, although in theory they should have it from the very first versions )
Can you explain how that helps me? Not saying it doesn't, but I'm not following you.

SP

Postby SP » 12 Oct 2020

I now downloaded MC 14. If i try to use the historical downloader it says "Your licensing plan does not support this feature. To access it - upgrade to Advanced Strategy Pack plan".

Wasn't it always mentioned here in the forum that old licenses will always have all the features in the future, and that the pack is only no longer included with new licenses and must be purchased separately?

TCust

Can you explain how that helps me? Not saying it doesn't, but I'm not following you.
Do I understand correctly that the data on all open charts was corrupted for today ? If this is the case, then in MC 14, there is a data loader in which you select the date ( period ) for which you want to reload them, for any selected tickers in QM. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Sorry English not good )
Last edited by TCust on 12 Oct 2020, edited 3 times in total.

TCust

I now downloaded MC 14. If i try to use the historical downloader it says "Your licensing plan does not support this feature. To access it - upgrade to Advanced Strategy Pack plan".
SP I do not know, I bought full version MС in 2011 everything works nothing is blocked from functions

Last edited by TCust on 12 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

vahalla

Postby vahalla » 12 Oct 2020

Same thing happened to me. Had to scramble to get out of all my positions manually and update to the newest version in the middle of a trading day. Now some of my signals that had 1000+ trades previously can't generate a single trade.

Not impressed with MC. Is there any way to roll back to the previous working version?

schkr

Postby schkr » 12 Oct 2020

Fresh install of MultiCharts64.14.0.20935.400_Release_x64, noted that the install is not signed.
Unable to sign in, cannot reach the authentication server.

wilkinsw

Do I understand correctly that the data on all open charts was corrupted for today ? If this is the case, then in MC 14, there is a data loader in which you select the date ( period ) for which you want to reload them, for any selected tickers in QM. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Sorry English not good )
QMD wasn't corrupted. Charts simply didn't backfill upon license server reconnection. This is a quirk of license server disconnects. Alternatively if I lose connection to a datafeed and then it reconnects.... charts do correctly backfill.

I desperately hope MC is working on a communique to show that it cares about it's customer base following this slip up.

MC was near perfect about 6 years ago. I feel that add ons in the last few years are sometimes rushed and not fully tested out leading to follow on bugs. Many add ons have been great however. Some fixes/improvements get removed accidentally in follow up versions, which can be frustrating.

MC, it would be great if you used your more experienced customer base as a sounding board in the earliest stages of drafting ideas. There are clearly at least a handful of professional traders / portfolio managers that use MC here. I for one would happily give up half my day to work with MC on new ideas, or just be a sound board. I would also happily pay more money for a product that's been developed using the input of professional traders.

For starters, improve the license server issue we've all experienced today. Many users, myself included, have repeatedly expressed concerns over the license server setup. It needs overhauling (inclusive of the FX server). It gives a very retail trader feel when a drop in connection to the license server results in all live algo's being turned off. Sell a premium addon: Allow users to pay for a "1month notice license renewal". If there's a drop, the user has 1 month to re establish connection.

MC has a great product. If you need to charge more, do so. I just want something a little more professional in return.

TCust

Sell a premium addon: Allow users to pay for a "1month notice license renewal". If there's a drop, the user has 1 month to re establish connection.

MC has a great product. If you need to charge more, do so. I just want something a little more professional in return.
It is not correct for a normally working program to pay extra for it to remain fully working :D
Maybe you just need to increase the number and time interval of attempts to check the license before it disables strategies and intraday ? )

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 13 Oct 2020

There were certainly a glitch in the license server. I suspect MC fellows are cooking up some new ways to cash in with MC 14, and while implementing that they have broken the existing plans !

Saddly few hints make me fear that lifetime license holders will be forced to pay extra money in order to use MC as they used to... I hope someone from MC can clarify their intentions. We have already been said that the dual PC setup allowed so far (with offline mode for 2nd one) will no longer be possible with MC14 :cry:

Now the question is: will we be forced to upgrade to MC14 ? During the license server incident, after several attempts to reconnect, I saw a popup saying that my build (latest MC12) was outdated and that I needed to upgrade (which I did not)... I guess it was there for a reason :roll: :?

SP

Postby SP » 13 Oct 2020

Wasn't it always mentioned here in the forum that old licenses will always have all the features in the future, and that the pack is only no longer included with new licenses and must be purchased separately?
SP I do not know, I bought full version MС in 2011 everything works nothing is blocked from functions
Saddly few hints make me fear that lifetime license holders will be forced to pay extra money in order to use MC as they used to... I hope someone from MC can clarify their intentions. We have already been said that the dual PC setup allowed so far (with offline mode for 2nd one) will no longer be possible with MC14 :cry:
Now the question is: will we be forced to upgrade to MC14 ? During the license server incident, after several attempts to reconnect, I saw a popup saying that my build (latest MC12) was outdated and that I needed to upgrade (which I did not)... I guess it was there for a reason :roll: :?

Now it seems to work. In the License Manager now it changed to "Mutlicharts Std Classic" Lifetime with the Advanced Features.
LM.jpg
LM
(19.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 13 Oct 2020

@SP Thanks for the update. It does in fact seem to be working now.

Thanks Multicharts for fixing this!

Alex

janus

Postby janus » 18 Oct 2020

So, what's the current situation with the license server? If I run MC in real-time mode and it loses connection to ANY or ALL of the license servers, will it stop working in real-time mode? If so that sort of behaviour is unacceptable. We can't have live trades pending, blocked or whatever simply because we've lost connectivity to just the license servers but still have internet access. Surely, the correct procedure is for MC to continue running in real-time mode even if it loses connectivity to all of the license servers. If one restarts MC then and only then should it check for license renewal, if applicable. If there's a concern that those with non-permanent licenses can run their MC sessions indefinitely, which would be very difficult in any case, then the simple solution is to have a very long timeout of say a day with warning messages displayed to inform the user to close any outstanding contracts and to renew their license.

Return to “MultiCharts”